UEFA Champions League 2021/22

Lineker

20 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Some reports saying a lot of the ticketless fans were locals.

I was just going to say this. The Sky piece I linked to above is one such source.

If the crowd management of the event was properly organized you don't get any of this. 

I think it's a testament to how good-natured the Liverpool fans are that there's been no major injuries or deaths as a result of that abysmal policing. I don't fault the officers on the street, whoever organised everything needs to be investigated. That was a lot of risk for zero reward.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Yeah you're not flying from Liverpool to Paris without a ticket. Anybody jumping the fences to sneak in is someone who didn't travel far to attend the match.

You under-estimate how far us British fans will fly for a pint in the correct city.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I was going to say, there'll have been plenty just flying in for the fan parks as there were for the Europa League last week.

While I absolutely don't condone the minority jumping fences etc, that really is beyond the point. It's on the organisers of any event to ensure ticket holders get in safely and they failed miserably at that. When people used to climb the fences at Glastonbury they didn't stop everyone coming in. Only football fans seem to get this treatment, and it doesn't help that other football fans contribute to it by blaming other clubs fans.

• Like 4

Just listening to The Anfield Wrap's podcast about how fans were treated yesterday. A couple of contributors were at a gate. Not being allowed in. One took his ticket out to show the steward he had a ticket. That ticket was then stolen by one of the local youths who were hanging around in front of a steward who continued to refuse him entry.

The same steward took the other contributors ticket then asked for a bribe in order to let the guy in. Let the guy in but never got his bribe in the end. The guy who had his ticket stolen was eventually let in without a ticket.

That is wild.

• Confused 1

I'm enjoying how much the French government and authorities are doing a Limmy "don't back down, double down" with the nonsensical lies they're coming with. 

30,000/40,000 trying to enter with fake tickets and saying their decisions prevented death or serious injury...yeah cause bottlenecking fans into tight areas and people having to climb up things and lift people to alleviate crushing and children and disabled fans being tear gassed is the right thing to do. 

I'm just glad we're in the social media age as there is so many posts from journalists, fans from both sides documenting the shit show and from even neutrals/corporates raising the concerns of just how badly managed the whole thing was. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

I'm enjoying how much the French government and authorities are doing a Limmy "don't back down, double down" with the nonsensical lies they're coming with. 

30,000/40,000 trying to enter with fake tickets and saying their decisions prevented death or serious injury...yeah cause bottlenecking fans into tight areas and people having to climb up things and lift people to alleviate crushing and children and disabled fans being tear gassed is the right thing to do. 

I'm just glad we're in the social media age as there is so many posts from journalists, fans from both sides documenting the shit show and from even neutrals/corporates raising the concerns of just how badly managed the whole thing was. 

It's infuriating because there was no deaths or serious injury, the police will claim that was down to their excellent policing. Such nonsense.

• Like 1

The likes of Kelly Cates and Gary Lineker were reporting well before kickoff of the carnage, there's no chance the real story won't be told. Whether UEFA do fuck all about it is another question of course.

41 minutes ago, MadJack said:

There's multiple twitter threads doing the rounds giving Madrid fans stories of how poorly the whole thing was run now - despite protestations from the authorities that only Liverpool fans experienced - and caused - issues.

That's the depressing thing though. There were some reports from the Madrid side and people are quick to pin the blame on English fans but also cause it's Liverpool it's easy for club tribalism to come into effect.

The amount of people saying well what about Hillsborough/Heysel it's always them lot etc oer the last few days just saddens me. Same with the parade held on the Sunday in what was logistically one of the only date we could do, amount of stuff like they're celebrating on Heysel as a point scoring opportunity

This would have happened to any other team... Fans should stick together in these incidents. United not divided

1 hour ago, Colly said:

The likes of Kelly Cates and Gary Lineker were reporting well before kickoff of the carnage, there's no chance the real story won't be told. Whether UEFA do fuck all about it is another question of course.

Honestly, I expect any "independent report" from both UEFA and the French Government to still pin the blame against us despite the mounting evidence for both sets of fans.

BT should also be given more stick for their non-reporting of what was happening. Instead you've got that bellend and noted inventor of the podcast Jake Humphreys glossing over everything. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

BT should also be given more stick for their non-reporting of what was happening. Instead you've got that bellend and noted inventor of the podcast Jake Humphreys glossing over everything. 

I know it's the Telegraph, but this is a good read.

I don't have BT but watched the final on YouTube, and the coverage from BT was awful. A proper collection of complete numpties on the punditry, offering no real insights whatsoever, and pure jumbled confusion during the incidence before the game in which they provided no additional information despite being a big media outlet literally at the stadium who could've been a crucial reporting arm.

The most insight we got was Humphrey happily exclaiming that it was finally time for Camila Cabello. Nice one.

I mean just as a complete aside, BT Sport genuinely have the worst set of pundits in the history of English football. I can just about get away with the commentators (and I don't hate McManaman as much as many seem to), but they've got a combination of idiots (Savage, Rio) and players who weren't interested in football when they were playing it, let alone now (Owen, Sutton). Stick Peter Walton on top and you've got hours of unwatchable buildup every game.

• Sad 1