Nintendo Megathread 2024

K

17 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Would you hate me if I told you I got it a day early and only paid £5 after finding I had unused store credit?

Hate you? Never.

Be very jealous? Absolutely.

(Although, I'm getting it for $20 because I had some Amazon credits from doing surveys. Probably getting it in a few days)

• Like 1

im just finishing whatever the great plateau is called in this new game. it's been achingly slow so far, but i understand that it gets more interesting soon.

Also all the shrines look like goatse and now you cant unsee it either.

21 hours ago, K said:

im just finishing whatever the great plateau is called in this new game. it's been achingly slow so far, but i understand that it gets more interesting soon.

Also all the shrines look like goatse and now you cant unsee it either.

Why would you say this???

Enjoying it so far! But I am getting Joycon Drift on like... all my controllers.

Enjoying TOTK. Did the same thing I did in BOTW and rush to get the towers open first thing, hate having the map missing areas. Been exclusively levelling up stamina so far. It makes some of the combat a little harder, but I'm spending so much time in the air it just makes sense at the moment.

Haven't really done any quests or anything. Just walking around finding shrines and things.

• Like 1

I am having a lot of fun with the shrines. There was one where you basically had to play baseball which was neat. I am currently in the underground, trying to find the 'autobuild' ability. I came across and defeated a giant ass frog, though!

For leveling up stamina/health, do you have to keep going back to the statue in the sky?

1 hour ago, apsham said:

There's one in just about every city and major hub - Lookout has one in the basement, Gerudo Town has one in the shelter, etc.

Lookout has as basement? I need to look around some more, I only found the Poe shrine. 

7 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Lookout has as basement? I need to look around some more, I only found the Poe shrine. 

I dunno if you have to talk to someone to make it open, but the central square is a shelter. Talk to the guard there, someone told me to do it but I think that the guard will just do it if you talk to them anyways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ruki said:

I am having a lot of fun with the shrines. There was one where you basically had to play baseball which was neat. I am currently in the underground, trying to find the 'autobuild' ability. I came across and defeated a giant ass frog, though!

For leveling up stamina/health, do you have to keep going back to the statue in the sky?

In the last game there were statues in each town, but I don't know about totk. There is definitely one in the underground safe house that you went to when you first reached the surface though. That's probably more accessible than the sky one for you. It's the hole in the ground with the free beds next to the first sky tower you unlocked

Edit: shit, i didn't refresh. Sorry gang.

I appreciate that there are many ways to solve shrines. I was struggling on Forward Force. Proper solve below. 

Spoiler

For the second part I never even got close to figuring that out. So I brute forced it by basically just building a little tower.

And the third part? I was even further away. But I built a car and drove it on top of the fence. It got more than halfway, which was enough for me to grab it from the other end.

6 hours ago, Ruki said:

I appreciate that there are many ways to solve shrines. I was struggling on Forward Force. Proper solve below. 

Hide contents

For the second part I never even got close to figuring that out. So I brute forced it by basically just building a little tower.

And the third part? I was even further away. But I built a car and drove it on top of the fence. It got more than halfway, which was enough for me to grab it from the other end.

Oh shit, how weird I was literally coming in here to talk about this shrine.

Spoiler

I really struggled to do this one, I knew what I was doing was wrong because the shrines always have a mini task at the beginning which is the clue to the whole thing, in this case riding a car, but I couldn't figure out what to do.

In the section with the stepped staircase I just made a really long platform attached to the weight, and stuck the ball on the end of it.

For the last section, I just made a really long wooden walkway out of all the rafts.

The intended solution, which I googled afterwards, is really elegant to but I really appreciate the way you can solve these things in different ways.

My wife was watching me play a different shrine she had already done, and our solutions were completely different, but both felt really natural.

• Like 1

Had a lot of fun in the Jirugamac shrine just now

Spoiler

It's the one in the deathstar where you have to combine the wing, cart and fan to make a little plane. Really good fun. Took me ages to figure out how to get the chest but once I did it, i felt so stupid for not getting it sooner.

I am just having a blast wandering around and doing shrines. I should probably start one of the main missions (I just ended up in Kakariko village).... or I can follow this old map I found into the underdark/caverns!

I ruled out doing anything but stumbling around the central area until a day or so ago when adventuring further and further out led me to the Gerudo Valley. The conditions there made it sound really fun and pushed another part of this game that I adore - prepare yourself or you won't be able to go forward. Or maybe you will but you'll just barely make it.

I got roped into that and did my first story bit which was very, very fun and yeah. This is going to be in the conversation for one of the best ever. It just feels so good, and natural!

The world is going through turmoil but there are still so many people in it and each one of them seems to have a story. Talking to people under a variety of different circumstances, and they all feel lively as they go about their business. Even people with one dimension will have lines that depend on what you're doing, what the conditions are, what has happened - and it all just feels so natural.

And the people in the world are just so on point too. Weird stuff is happening? No matter where you go it seems, there's someone who's trying to learn about what is happening to the world. Finding others in really out of the way, odd places really makes me happy in this game because it feels so hopeful - like people aren't just sitting on their ass, they're trying to do something about it.

I only play for about 30 minutes to 45 minutes a day, so have spent my time with Zelda so far getting stuck on the Great Sky Island (seemingly), spending two days of plays trying to work out how to get back to the part I needed to get to, before realising that a small stretch of water linked the left side (where I was) to the right side (where I needed to be)...thus finally actually getting in a position to make progress.

I'll be completing this game in 2030 at this rate.