Nintendo Megathread 2024

K

Just now, lanky316 said:

Just realised I'd missed the release of the new Fire Emblem game... It has been made up for now. Absolutely loved Three Houses so looking forward to this.

Bear in mind that the story and characters aren't as good as in Three Houses. The tactical combat is very good, though.

• Like 3

I've played a few hours today, not far in to it but it's reminding me of the DS games, not a bad thing at all. It does feel like a bit of a step back from 3H (hazards of making one of the best games of the last decade) but overall I'm finding the tactical combat challenging and the story is fine if nothing spectacular.

There are some Switch games on clearance offers at Tesco. Stock will be different at each shop, but I managed to get Pokemon Shining Pearl and New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe for £18.50 each. Other similarly priced games that were out of stock where I looked included Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Super Mario 3D World, Pokemon Legends: Arceus and Super Smash Bros Brawl. There were even sightings of OLED consoles for just over £150, but they sold out very quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GB/GBC/GBA titles for Nintendo Online/Plus is neat and they have some really solid titles both at launch and in future. Having the different filters too is nice as well. Seems the end game to that would be to add the Pokemon games and maybe add some integration to send to Home and into later generations. Presumably they're not in the market of remaking any of those games right now so it's not cannabilasing any sales.

Has anyone got a Switch and Switch Lite, or two Switches generally? Thinking of getting a Lite so the kids can play separately, but how practical is it in terms of shared saves between consoles etc? I realise I'll probably have to get an online membership, but curious as to how faffy it is.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Has anyone got a Switch and Switch Lite, or two Switches generally? Thinking of getting a Lite so the kids can play separately, but how practical is it in terms of shared saves between consoles etc? I realise I'll probably have to get an online membership, but curious as to how faffy it is.

This is one of the places where Nintendo really falls behind. If you're looking at having the same user account on multiple profiles - it's kind of a pain in the ass.

Every account has a 'primary' Switch and that is the one that you can play any games that are digitally owned without any issues. This is always the first account that was signed in on - and then anytime you log in to the Eshop on another Switch it becomes a secondary console. You can download your games onto it but then it's a situation where every time someone fires up a game that is on a Switch, and that game belongs to a person who does not have it set as their 'Primary' it has to connect to the internet and make sure it's okay. This can mostly be overridden if you mostly have physical games.

Cloud saves are possible - but they're not amazing at this either. In general, every Switch game that accepts cloud saves (not all of them do, Animal Crossing and Pokemon famously do not allow this at all, even if the games are physical) tries to update that Cloud save when you close the application. But there's no guarantee that it'll complete in time, or if it'll catch the download and update on the other console. You can make sure to do it manually - updating the cloud save, and making sure the other console pulls it down, but that's an extra step. I haven't done this too much though - I'm just thinking of my own experience from having the games on my OWN console have discrepancies between the cloud save and the local save with regular usage.

And yeah, you'll probably want to get the family Switch Online membership and have everyone added in. And you need to keep that topped up because the moment that it ends, your cloud saves will store for a bit but they won't upload/download anymore and I think they do eventually go away after a while too.

12 hours ago, Krabby said:

Is that the top one? with the n64 games?

Ye. So now it's the N64 games, GBA games, Genesis games, Animal Crossing expansion and Mario Kart track expansion that comes with that tier if I remember correctly along with the Splatoon 2 single player expansion, I think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, RPS said:

The 3DS and WiiU estores are closing down soon. What is a must buy from either? 

Lazy answer, but you can find a lot of videos on Youtube covering this exact thing due to how close the shop is to closing down. Worth having a look as it seems like there are quite a few decent games that will disappear unfortunately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liam said:

Lazy answer, but you can find a lot of videos on Youtube covering this exact thing due to how close the shop is to closing down. Worth having a look as it seems like there are quite a few decent games that will disappear unfortunately.

I have been watching them the last month or so. Right now all Capcom games are super cheap. Just wasn't sure if EWB had any hidden gems. 

• Like 1