General Gaming Thread - 2022

RPS

So earlier in the week I bought a NSTC-J Playstation 2 on eBay, along with three games I've wanted to play for almost 20 years: King Of Colosseum Red/Green and the sequel. And they hold up, moreso than I thought they would. I'm currently going through the Survival mode (basically a towers mode) with Kawada on Hard, after spending a day or two figuring out the controls and the timing, etc. It's insanely fun. I just had a 24 minute match with Hiroshi Hase that got an A rating.

The PS2 is also modded to play US PS2 games, so I went to my local game store and picked up X-Men Legends II, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and PRIDE FC. It doesn't play US PS1 games, though, only Japanese ones. But that's okay, I have little interest in revisiting the PS1 era games.

• Like 2

I haven't followed the Rocket League Championships in a few years now, but my gf's brother has it on, and there's an upcoming match between Team Liquid and Moist Esports, and it's being dubbed El Splashico. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 29/06/2022 at 13:25, Colly said:

New trailer for Return to Monkey Island. Lots of talk on the art style, and I'm not 100% sold myself, but still an definite purchase.

Speaking of this, Ron Gilbert has said he's going to stop sharing images of the game because he's been receiving personal abuse over the art style.

2 hours ago, Baddar said:

I haven't followed the Rocket League Championships in a few years now, but my gf's brother has it on, and there's an upcoming match between Team Liquid and Moist Esports, and it's being dubbed El Splashico. 🤣

I'm a big fan of any rivalry being given some corny variant of El Classico.

In MLS they dubbed the LAFC/LA Galaxy rivalry "El Traffico" for example. Gives me a chuckle every time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My wife has gone away for a few days, so i bought myself a short video game to cheer myself up. Big mistake. I bought Firewatch. Was in pieces.

Great story though. Did it in one sitting, loved it.

• Sad 3

18 minutes ago, K said:

My wife has gone away for a few days, so i bought myself a short video game to cheer myself up. Big mistake. I bought Firewatch. Was in pieces.

Great story though. Did it in one sitting, loved it.

*cuddles*

8 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Speaking of this, Ron Gilbert has said he's going to stop sharing images of the game because he's been receiving personal abuse over the art style.

Pretty ridiculous. The art style is awesome.

• Thanks 1

I get people being iffy about the Monkey Island art style - I'm not 100% sold on it yet myself, and people want it to look like they remember, not realising that Ron Gilbert isn't trying to make a nostalgia game that looks like games he made 30 years ago, he's making a game today, and nor will it look like Curse of Monkey Island or anything that came after that, because he had nothing to do with those games. But abusing him over it is preposterous. 

And besides, even if I'm not convinced yet, I'm pretty sure the game will win me over because it's fucking Ron Gilbert. I think he might know a thing or two about making Monkey Island games.

I do like that he has such creative control over the project that he's able to just say, "well fuck you, no nice things for you" in the first place, though.

• Like 3

Playing Lost Judgement, and I am getting completely sucked into the school stories. Each school club seems to have a pretty cool mini game associated with it.... there's the rhythm game dance club, boxing mini game that seems pretty deep, a skateboarding game that's ehh, a friggin robot battle/creation game... and I'm about to find out what the eSports club has to offer.

I think there's 9 clubs in total? It's like Yakuza 0 levels of side content.

• Like 2

I beat Deathloop. Don't feel too much pressure to go back and see everything else in the game, I got enough out of it. Overall a fun game but, as I mentioned before, coming off of Elden Ring it was always going to feel like a letdown.

I did enjoy my time with it, but there was so little to explore haha.

• Like 1

Rockstar has dropped all plans for remakes of Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV and a planned current-gen version of Red Dead Redemption 2.

The reasoning is "all hands on deck for GTA6".

I really, really wanted a RDR1 remake. Goddamnit.

Edited by tristy

9 hours ago, tristy said:

Rockstar has dropped all plans for remakes of Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV and a planned current-gen version of Red Dead Redemption 2.

The reasoning is "all hands on deck for GTA6".

I really, really wanted a RDR1 remake. Goddamnit.

While I would enjoy an RDR remake since I haven't beaten it despite beating RDR 2, I think I'd much rather them work on new content such as GTA6...which is my yearly reminder that I really need to finish 5.

• Like 2

Sucked into Wasteland 3 quicker than a spider down the sink hole. The character customisation options, as the skills and growing them as a squad is what is are drawing me into it with the story. Very new to the series. Each character so far has been thankfully easy to Roleplay in my head at what choice they could make, or say and how they would get on with each other.

Still got a lot of games to catch up on. The Xbox One and PS4 could do with a repair or new bought. They sound like a 747 taking off. 

• Like 2

I'm not expecting it, because it's Volition/Saints Row. But I would like a decent story to come with all the zany insane antics. 3 and 4 never really resonated with me because the story didn't interest me, Saints Row 1 and 2 I felt had relatively good stories albeit short ones.

Just a little bit of groundedness in the middle of all the pure insanity would work.

• Like 1