FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

10 minutes ago, Tall Boi Byrne said:

Well known prolific goalscorer Christian Pulisic.

It wasn't a sitter. He should have done better, but that's not the same thing.

I had Weah for a SOT that I thought might have been a bit hopeful, so I'll take that strike.

Cool. Semantics. 

One of the best American players and their best goal scorer couldn't score 1v1 in the box. You literally have to score that. There's no excusing or defending it.

Oh well, fuck it. We're eliminated.

• Like 1

Would probably hurt more if I felt this team could actually win the World Cup.  I know some of the favorites have underwhelmed in group play which makes the tournament feel more wide open than usual, but I’d have to think some of them round into form during the knockout.

US talent level has greatly improved from 4 years ago and hopefully that development continues.  But they’re not there yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Absolute horrid marking by the defense on both goals.

Just a dreadful way to end the half, no way we put two past a Dutch team that is incredibly disciplined at the back.

It looked like the midfield largely for the first goal. The trio were all out of shape as the Dutch came forward and nobody tracked Depay into the box at all.

5 minutes ago, Jacob deBusch said:

Would probably hurt more if I felt this team could actually win the World Cup.  I know some of the favorites have underwhelmed in group play which makes the tournament feel more wide open than usual, but I’d have to think some of them round into form during the knockout.

US talent level has greatly improved from 4 years ago and hopefully that development continues.  But they’re not there yet.

All very true they have improved but to me this American team felt like a last 16 side all the time.

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

It looked like the midfield largely for the first goal. The trio were all out of shape as the Dutch came forward and nobody tracked Depay into the box at all.

Yeahhhh. Tyler Adams has been our clear best player this World Cup but boy did he not track back AT ALL on the goal. Just watched Depay glide right past him.

14 minutes ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

Cool. Semantics. 

One of the best American players and their best goal scorer couldn't score 1v1 in the box. You literally have to score that. There's no excusing or defending it.

Oh well, fuck it. We're eliminated.

Yeah whether you class it as a sitter or not, seeing it again at HT, it's as good a chance as you could hope to get in a WC round of 16. He should've scored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Kraig said:

Jurgen Klinsmann's thoughts are that the US team are lacking experience, which is true when you think about how young their players are, especially the front players.

They're lacking a goalscorer. Pulisic is not a proper forward, that Ferreira lad had an alright season but it was in the MLS which is probably about championship level, even their first choice Josh Sargent is just nowhere near good enough at this level.

• Like 2