FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

Can we not call women "birds" please.

The term 'bird' definitely is a regional thing more than anything else not a term I like using.

On another note these Senegal fans have been brilliant even when there team are losing they have kept dancing and singing maybe with less energy as the game as has gone on but they have been delightful 

• Like 1

Having suffered with the golden generation and putting up with misery of England. This group of player's has to be my favorite. The talent that has improved and they all seem a nice group. I'm just happy when they play well and give a good performance. It is why I worry if they get rid of Southgate. He's the best manager England has had in recent time's. Worked really hard developing what he has done. I'm proud of 2018, 2021 and here so far.

The only downside are the racist fans to certain player's of the team that I've witnessed. I'm proud of those player's for their work on and off the filed. Along with the work they do, and messages they try to send and taking a stand on racism. With charity work. 

I know it's been a case of meeting expectations, given how the draws have panned out, but three quarter-finals in a row at major tournaments is nice to see. After the abject years from 2008 to 2016, it's good to see England getting involved at the business end of competitions again.

• Like 2

France v. England.. cannot believe I'm saying this but thanks Qatar, finally, a match I'm looking forward to. It may not be coming home though.. :P

Also, I want to check something.

Sol Campbell

Edited by PantherFan22
Spell Check ;)
  • Like 1

Kind of rolling my eyes at that article, in its own way it feels like it's trying too hard, but there's no doubt that Fox's coverage has been really awful as it always is. Pairing Ian Darke with Landon Donovan, having Landon Donovan on commentary at all, is an outrageously bad decision.

Anyway yay, Japan.

• Like 1

The popularity and drama of group play has led to FIFA to reconsider the change to 3-team groups in 2026.  If it's 4-team groups, there would be 12 of them and there are different ways it could be arranged:

-Top 2 teams in each group advance along with the top 3rd place finishers into the 32-team knockout round.
-Only the top 2 teams advance, 24 teams left for the knockout which would mean the top 8 teams get some sort of bye.
-Just running 2 separate 24-team brackets that don't intertwine at all until the finals

Who knows if FIFA will agree to actually change anything but anything that avoids 3-team groups would have to be considered a win.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jacob deBusch said:

The popularity and drama of group play has led to FIFA to reconsider the change to 3-team groups in 2026.  If it's 4-team groups, there would be 12 of them and there are different ways it could be arranged:

-Top 2 teams in each group advance along with the top 3rd place finishers into the 32-team knockout round.
-Only the top 2 teams advance, 24 teams left for the knockout which would mean the top 8 teams get some sort of bye.
-Just running 2 separate 24-team brackets that don't intertwine at all until the finals

Who knows if FIFA will agree to actually change anything but anything that avoids 3-team groups would have to be considered a win.

Maybe it’ll be top two plus another 8 with the biggest cheque books.

39 minutes ago, Jacob deBusch said:

They should go with the byes for the top 8 as it would encourage against benching players for the 3rd matchday. But they'll absolutely go with the option that gets them the most matches on TV.