Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

28 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Really does feel like the wheels may be starting to fall off for ten Haag.

I think United need this though. They've had a culture of people being massively overpaid cause Woodward just gave everyone stupid wages. Players have underperformed and took the piss and now someone's come in, isn't taking any shit and they don't like it. 

But I do also think, he's made mistakes such as apparently keen to get Greenwood back involved, handling of certain situations etc. 

It's turning into player power against manager here and what one ends up coming on top. 

• Like 1

Stability is what they need, but whether Ten Hag is that remains to be seen. Newcastle did it when Souness came in after Sir Bobby Robson to try and curb some player egos, and he's really high up on my very long list of utterly shocking Newcastle managers.

There have been player power issues up and down the leagues over the years but what's been going on at Man Utd (Greenwood, Antony and whatever is happening with Sancho) seems to go beyond that. It might not even translate to problems on the pitch (bar a slight shortage of right wingers), but they've had a string of fairly unrelated individual issues rather than a culture of troublemaking.

Since Klopp took over at Liverpool, tomorrow will mark the 12th time Liverpool have played in the early kickoff match following an international break. That's twice more than any other side.

I'm definitely not saying agenda/bias/conspiracy theory etc like some yahoos are, but you would think that's something the league would try to make more even. The early kickoff match after international break pretty much always seems to be a huge trap match for all the obvious reasons.

8 minutes ago, Colly said:

hqdefault.jpg

?

He actually came on against Newcastle! I'd never heard of him before that :shifty:

Apparently he's 20, a centre back, and he spent the back end of last year on loan at Bristol Rovers.

4mins into the game and I've had enough of Jenas already. Didn't take him long to talk bollocks. Mac Allister gets booked after halting a promising Cunha run, and Jenas says there's no way it's a booking, whilst then explaining the reasons why it should be one. Odd.

Early goal for Wolves, should make it a decent game now.

Arguably the worst first half performance I've ever seen from Liverpool. MacAllister has probably turned the ball over 10 times on his own. Practically every player having a stinker. Making Wolves look like Man City. We should probably be down 3-0 right now. 

Mac Allister playing like a man whose travelled scross continent's and played at silly altitude in midweek. Been awful

Don't get why we insist on Gomez playing in the same role as Trent when they're completely different. 

Fact its 1-0 gives a lifeline. 

Good grief, Soccer Saturday is a difficult watch today.

I don't know if it's a new thing but Merson and Sherwood are both commentating on their old clubs, and they have both been interminable.

I mean, yes it is well known how much of an imbecile Sherwood is, but Jesus wept he is clueless - keeps calling Sheff Utd "Sheffield" and is as biased as can be.

• Like 1

There's an argument to say you can get away with that kind of a strategy a lot easier if your are a club like Brighton where there isnt the the expectation that you'll spend big money on players.

Whereas at a larger club if you're not spending money there'll a section of your fanbase up in arms online about it. The desire for instant gratification is higher the bigger the expectations of the fans.

That said Liverpools team yesterday had Andy Robertson, Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliot, Joel Matip, Stefan Bajčetić, Caoimhin Kelleher, Jerill Quansah and Joe Gomez. All of whom came in for low fees, free transfers or are youth academy graduates.

Not all nailed on starters but mostly decent squad options some with room to improve.