Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

29 minutes ago, Kaney said:

This is the thing that bothers me. I hate the term "bottled it" (for obvious reasons :( ) and its frustrating seeing people laugh because ho ho ho those cheeky Spurs boys screwed us but actually, not really. The losses to Fulham and Villa were significantly more damaging to our chances and that's the size of it. City have gladly benefitted from us dropping points as much as we would if they had lost to Spurs.

City are shitty and relentless but they're not unbeatable. Liverpool have shown they can keep pace with them, and Arsenal are now showing we can too. I don't feel like we've bottled the league this season and I don't think anyone genuinely belives we have either. One single win against Villa and (Everton aside god willing) we'd be champions, not to get into hitting-the-woodwork territory. I've very much enjoyed this season, however it ends and I'm positive about next year.

The problem is, in this City-dominated era, you have to be absolutely perfect to beat them to the title. 

We have broken all sorts of club records this season but it still will not be enough. Any other season, a run in the second half of the year like ours which was winning every game bar one slip up where we lost and a draw away at the current champions is the sort of run you’d expect the would-be champions elect to have.

The fact City haven’t lost since 6th December but has barely registered a ripple says it all. That’s just what they do. 

There is absolutely no sense in any “bottle-job” tags, as usually bottling involves dropping multiple points over multiple games. As you said, those games against West Ham and Fulham around Christmas will always be the “what ifs”. At the time it felt like we will regret those games and now it is bearing fruit. The West Ham game was an anomaly, we were by far the better team and going based on the performance, we shouldn’t have lost - but that’s football. Whereas the Fulham game - we didn’t turn up and were rightfully beaten.

Although the title race technically isn’t over, it is. All we can do is go again next season and have to hope that perhaps City might find it a season too many, or something like that.

• Like 1

I understand the feeling that you need to be perfect to beat City, sure but look at what has actually happened. One single loss changed to a win and we'd be pretty much nailed on to take the title. Last season, only needed two results changed. How many times were Liverpool inside of one or two wins from beating City to the title? The margins are far slimmer than people make it out to be. The standards required have been raised massively, sure. But it's not outwith our grasp. Or Liverpools, or Spurs (lol) if they back Ange.

I'm not downplaying City's dominance and maybe I'm just naive but I really don't think they're a whole world away from the rest of us. If they start winning every season by 10 points then sure, it's over but I want to remain optimistic.

• Like 1

This is also why VAR is wank.

Ref misses the foul from Amrabat, but VAR can't be arsed giving the pen anyway. Yet they've intervened for less before. Just bin it and let me enjoy celebrating a goal again. Couldn't even enjoy the Mainoo one tonight.

• Like 1

More shit refereeing in the Brighton/Chelsea game. Lamptey does Mudryk off the ball and forces him off with a concussion, but nah don't worry about it says VAR. Drop ball to Brighton.

That's the officials' fault rather than VAR itself, of course. It correctly overturned a penalty called for Cucurella by showing that the defender got the ball first. Although that still didn't mean it was a Chelsea corner instead, because reasons.

Reece James must have an August holiday booked for the way he did that stupid kick-out. Four match suspension since it's his second straight red of the season - he'll miss the first three of 24/25.

Ugh, why is Danny Welbeck still here.

• Haha 1

Not going to whinge on about the result (Isak should have buried that 1v1 to make it 2-1), but the timing between Wolves statement and this is perfect, Gordon absolutely spot on with his comment. Looks likely the clubs will reject it though.

I'm semi impressed that a medical team can do a concussion check that fundamentally involves looking at a players eyes and fail to spot a fractured eye socket. Surely it would be swelling up at very least?

'How many fingers can you see?'

'Tuesday'

'Close enough'

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Colly said:

I'm semi impressed that a medical team can do a concussion check that fundamentally involves looking at a players eyes and fail to spot a fractured eye socket. Surely it would be swelling up at very least?

I think it's incredibly possible that you can have broken your eye socket, and not immediately be showing swelling or discoloration. Trying to make that determination within maybe 5 minutes of the incident, I can easily see it being missed. After like 30 minutes though? Yeah you'll probably notice it.

• Like 2

Was it the Iran goalkeeper in the World Cup who was blatantly out on his feet and they left him home for like 5/10 minutes before taking him off?

It's mad how far behind football still is with head injuries and CTE. 

Sunday is gonna be so hard. Keep seeing all the videos being posted, going through memories, looking through photos and stuff I've filmed over the years. Honestly the man has helped give me some of the best moments of my life

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Szumi said:

I think it's incredibly possible that you can have broken your eye socket, and not immediately be showing swelling or discoloration. Trying to make that determination within maybe 5 minutes of the incident, I can easily see it being missed. After like 30 minutes though? Yeah you'll probably notice it.

The thing is, by the time he came off his face already looked warped. You could tell he wasn't right.

This is different then it being fans. I don't blame Ange for being pissed

But at the same time that Tottenham supporters club or association wanting a meeting to explain the rivalry...to a guy who managed a team in one of the most hate fuelled and intense rivalries is funny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the topic of Ederson:

After seeing this, where did these medical professionals get their licenses exactly? There is absolutely no reason why he should have been allowed back onto the pitch. 

As soon as a player loses consciousness like this, they should immediately be removed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam said:

The thing is, by the time he came off his face already looked warped. You could tell he wasn't right.

Which is probably why they subbed him off? Any initial coloring or swelling would be from the contact, not from obvious signs of a break. Even asked my GF about it since she's a nurse and knows way more than me. Even she said unless the socket is shattered, you're not going to be seeing any signs of a break that quickly.

Now on the concussion side of things, THAT should have been very clear and noticed. He should have been subbed off immediately. Very different topic, of course.