Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about the box thing, withdraw and deposit is a needless chore. But if there's a workaround, that's fine.

So far - and I only started playing it this afternoon, and I'm taking it slow, so I'm not even at the first gym, I've enjoyed it a lot. My team's fairly generic, as there's such a lack of options at the moment, and so far I've not noticed any difference between X and Y, but it's fun. I'm not doing my usual "strategy" of just really massively overpowering one Pokeyman and keeping the others as back-up, and instead I'm levelling everyone fairly equally and playing it safe.

I picked the grass starter guy.

Yeah, on the "built from the ground up" front...surely I wasn't the only one to realise that you go through Viridian Forest and in to Viridian City for the first gym, right?

Basically, yeah, but I figured that was a nod to people who would pick up on it more than anything else. I thought it was cool.

Wait, what, lack of options? I'm barely passed the first gym and my Pokedex has 77 Pokemon and I've caught 33 different types. I've never been so overwhelmed in one of these games for choice. At the start it felt like every patch of tall grass I entered had about 6 different Pokemon!

Mega Absol is obscene. That's all I have to say on the matter.

There's lots of breeding mechanic things but it is pretty darn easy once you get the hang of it. I have a feeling I'll end up EV'ing a whole lot of stuff in this Gen whilst waiting for Pokemon Bank to free up some of my guys from Black 2 (here's looking at you, Venomoth). I'll do a handy guide thing with a few bulletpoints if needs be <_< the cool thing is that male Pokemon can now pass down their hidden abilities which makes things a god send.

Also, I finally had an O-Power level up on me. Granted it's not exactly an important one but it's nice all the same :P

Wait, what, lack of options? I'm barely passed the first gym and my Pokedex has 77 Pokemon and I've caught 33 different types. I've never been so overwhelmed in one of these games for choice. At the start it felt like every patch of tall grass I entered had about 6 different Pokemon!

Most of them are shit, though :shifty:

I guess it kind of just feels that way as I've watched my girlfriend go through this bit already. And I'm not even at the first gym yet.

Off the top of my head, I have my grass starter guy, a Pikachu, a Butterfree, a Weedle, the three different elemental monkey guys, a Scatterbug, a Pidgie and a Fletchling. Oh, and that guy that evolves into Marill. Maybe more. So okay, that's actually quite a few. And I know it opens up a lot after this bit.

• Like 1

I have an entire team of at least partial fighting types just in case I want to start losing, and it's... surprisingly effective. Hawlucha (Bull Hawkano), Blaziken (I CAN'T RENAME BLAZIKEN WHAT HELL), Pancham (Po, per my daughters), Machop (C. Him Punch, per my daughters), Scraggy (Worker Ant), and Mienfoo (Ultimo, which will probably change now that I see he's a cat). I might just see if I can run the game with this group.

I love all the Hawlucha names. It's totally in my favourite three Pokémon already, just behind Charizard and Heracross. Flying Press is the bestest move.

Also, Wonder Trade is addictive and will be very useful for lottery draws.

Wonder Trade is magnificent when a Japanese girl sends you Eevee.

Which just fucking happened.

How does that work?

You trade a Pokemon you own - whether it's in your party or your box - and get a random one in return. You're as likely to get a Japanese girl's Eevee as you are to get an American guy's Flabebe.

It's very useful for a few reasons:

1) you might get a Pokémon you wanted earlier than the game gives you

2) you might get a person who's bred a rare Pokémon giving one of theirs to you (like I will be doing when I catch Ditto)

3) there's a lottery in the game that's based on the trainer numbers of all Pokémon you own - the more trainers' Pokémon you have, the more likely you are to win something in the lottery

4) any Pokémon traded get an EXP boost when training, so if you just want to fill up your dex by evolving Pokémon, then you can get the job done quicker with a traded Pokémon

5) I think there's something in this game that gives you tradeable items based on distance travelled, which includes trades, but I'm not sure on this one.

Also, I caught an Eevee last night, really need to hurry up and get that Ditto <_<

Also, also, Espurr has been disappointing so far, it needs a deeper movepool. I'm contemplating raising a Mr Mime instead so I can get used to fairy type's advantages and disadvantages, but I think I'll hold out for the third and fourth gym before making the decision.

If you do what I'm doing (using only Gen VI Pokemon, with the exception of Charizard) then I think early game is a little disappointing in terms of Pokemon options. Getting further I've encountered some that I would want to use, but I really like the team I have now and don't want to change it yet.

Charizard with Charizardite X

Delphox

Heliolisk (this would be one I would replace if I did replace anyone)

Aegislash (haven't actually used her in battle yet)

Tyrantrum

Pangoro

All level 65 or 66, except Delphox who is 68. He got the boosted Exp. from playing with him in Pokemon Amie which is pretty cool.

EDIT: did my first Wonder Trade. Sent a level 15 Absol and got a Foongus from someone in Asia I think.

EDIT again: So, uh, Aegislash might be a new favorite. When in Blade Form, the Attack and Sp. Attack stats jumps from 119 and 86 to 260 and 214, and in Shield form the Def. and Sp. Def. jump from 77 and 79 to 207 and 192, respectively.

Edited by Vitamin E

Ending spoilers:

Fuck that ending

:crying:

The story overall was good. I didn't really care for Team Flare as the enemy team too much until they actually wanted to use the ultimate weapon, but at that point their story arc was almost over anyway. I really liked the story of AZ, though. When I defeated him and the cinematic started I guessed what was happening and then it happened. Seeing Floette come down made me teary eyed.

Edited by Vitamin E