Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with the resets, but the format is a classic. I hate getting rid of gyms beyond all reason, they are a staple of the series, and without them I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere, I just feel like I'm fighting a bunch of meaningless battles and none of it feels like an accomplishment. The totem Pokémon were interesting, but they should have been an addition to the game, not taking the place of the actual gym battles.

Grinded up my Sandshrew/Ivysaur/Kabutops and Mudkip/Aron/Eevee  teams to take on Mt. Moon and things got weird again.

Mt. Moon I lost Sandshrew to a trainer's Blaziken getting a critical Ember, so Sandshrew and Mudkip went to the graveyard.  This gave me room to put Starmie and Mankey on the team and Starmie became the MVP of his team.  Got through all that and...

Route 4 - Moltres and Jirachi!  I didn't think I would be able to catch both but I did admittedly up the catch rate a little for legendarily to make it possible  Sadly a Crit Ember with a Burn took down Ivysaur so I lost my huge pair of Ivysaur/Aron for Moltres/Jirachi.

Route 24 - Spoink and Camerupt - Meh pair, only chance they will be used in the near future is if Moltres/Jirachi fall.

Route 25 - Cloyster and Sudowoodo - Another meh pair for the box.

Current Active Team:
Starmie, Moltres and Kabutops
Mankey, Jirachi and Eevee

Box:
Seadra, Furret, Spoink and Cloyster
Mawile, Bellsprout, Camerupt, Sudowoodo

Dead:
Machop, Sandshrew and Ivysaur
Bagon, Mudkip, Aron

On 09/10/2017 at 10:06, Benji said:

I'm fine with the resets, but the format is a classic. I hate getting rid of gyms beyond all reason, they are a staple of the series, and without them I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere, I just feel like I'm fighting a bunch of meaningless battles and none of it feels like an accomplishment. The totem Pokémon were interesting, but they should have been an addition to the game, not taking the place of the actual gym battles.

It would have been more interesting to complete a trial to gain the crystal and then fought a mini gym leader with 3-4 pokemon of that type to gain the dance and then have the island kahuna as a tougher 6 pokemon battle with a mix of that types from that islands crystals. Having that would give you 18 mini leaders and then the 4 kahunas, so around 22 decent challenges.

With how it is, the only chalenge is to stop the totem pokemon calling for backup.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Benji said:

TIL physical TV and film media still exists :shifty:

Physical media is the best, I'd rather pay for something that physically exists than pay for something may not exist at some point in time because the provider can't be bothered to maintain it.

• Like 3

Slowly made it to Lavender Town, Rock Tunnel was hell and cost me a great pair.  Goodbye forever Starmie and Primeape.

Route 5: Igglybuff and Arcanine - Could be decent, I really need a Thunderstone to turne Eevee Electric type so I can add pairs

Route 6:  Politoed and Miltank - Nothing special, the two most common type so will probably never be used

Route 11: Lotad and Volbeat - Awful pair and a Crit knocked out Volbeat so they were never caught.

Diglett Tunnel: Kakuna and Roselia - Added to the team to fill my Bug/Grass spots.  Beedrill is kinda trash but Roselia has a good moveset

Route 9: Zubat and Growlithe - Crobat is available so not awful, but I canot use them at the moment.

Route 10: Hoppip and Gardevoir - Gardevoir used teleport, goodbye forever

Rock Tunnel - Kecleon and Zapdos - Zapdos is a great catch but Kecleon is not.  Pending use based on Eevee dying or evolving to Espeon or Umbreon instead.

Current Active Team:
Moltres, Kabutops and Beedrill
Jirachi, Eevee and Roselia

Box:
Seadra, Furret, Spoink, Cloyster, Zubat and Kecleon
Mawile, Bellsprout, Camerupt, Sudowoodo, Growlithe and Zapdos

Dead:
Machop, Sandshrew, Ivysaur, Starmie
Bagon, Mudkip, Aron, Primeape

Still eyeing him though, it's barely news until tabling occurs. 

As mentioned in the Nintendo thread I'm getting a 2DS for my daughter for Christmas and she's Pokemon obsessed, any recommendations as to which game to get? I know Ultra Moon is out soon, but are there better older ones? Amazon seem to be still selling the old ones for about release price so I don't think price will be a factor, but I'd like to get people's thoughts. She is watching a lot of XY on Netflix, so would X or Y be a good idea? 

4 hours ago, Colly said:

As mentioned in the Nintendo thread I'm getting a 2DS for my daughter for Christmas and she's Pokemon obsessed, any recommendations as to which game to get? I know Ultra Moon is out soon, but are there better older ones? Amazon seem to be still selling the old ones for about release price so I don't think price will be a factor, but I'd like to get people's thoughts. She is watching a lot of XY on Netflix, so would X or Y be a good idea? 

I got Alpha Sapphire when I got my 3DS and then picked up Y after and I never got into Y after putting the hours into Sapphire, personally the plot of Sapphire is more interesting than X/Y, I'd even say it's even more interesting than Sun/Moon. however playing X/Y before OR/AS might be the better option.

4 hours ago, Colly said:

I got Alpha Sapphire when I got my 3DS and then picked up Y after and I never got into Y after putting the hours into Sapphire, personally the plot of Sapphire is more interesting than X/Y, I'd even say it's even more interesting than Sun/Moon. however playing X/Y before OR/AS might be the better option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colly said:

Thanks guys. I think I'm more than likely going to go with X or Y just so she can see characters she recognises. Any big difference the two to sway a decision or are they more of less the same? 

X/Y and OR/AS are at their core the same, obviously excluding the region/story, the only main difference is that they brought back some Gen 3 gameplay and mechanics for OR/AS along with changing up a few things to make it a bit different from the originals.

If I recall were you planning on getting a 3DS as well?, if so I'd suggest getting your daughter either X/Y and you grab either OR/AS, they are the same generation so you can trade and battle without issue, OR/AS has a good story and a decent end game and the best option to "catch em all" or come extremly close anyway as it has the most catchable legends in one game.

I'd also suggest taking a look at the selects range, they are around £15 and depending on her age you have Super Mario 3D Land and Nintendogs + Cats for a younger audience or more story driven games like Zelda and Luigi's Mansion for thoses a bit older.