Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

After some tinkering I got Heart Gold and Soul Silver to work, just chose my starters.  For Soul Silver my choices were Happiny, Nidoran F and Chikorita.  Went with Chikorita.  However, my choices for Heart Gold were Chikorita again, Ralt or Azurill.  I chose Azurill because it was SHINY!  So now I have a shiny Azurill with Huge Power following me around.

Seriously, the follow mechanic is such a nice feature that I'm mad wasn't in any other games.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna just say that if you played Sun/Moon then you probably can give US/UM a skip, though we'll see if things shake up in the second half of the game. First island is almost identical to the first game. Mantine surfing is pretty fun and is how BP are distributed though so it's possible (and fairly easy--surfing isn't hard and shits out a ton of BP) to get some solid tutor moves early.

I hadn't used Rowlet yet so the only set part of my final team are Decidueye and the event Dusk Lycanroc. I'm trying to use a few mons in other spots that would normally get benched, so I'ma try getting Arbok into the Hall of Fame.

• Sad 1

I would say that, if you didn't get regular Sun/Moon, this is the version to get, it's absolutely better. The grass challenge and Exeggutor Island, for example, get cleaned up significantly (you don't bring Lillie along for the latter); Gladion actually has some tricks/mind games that he uses in your fights; I've heard good things about the way the Poni Island challenges end; Mantine surfing is a way better way to build up BP than the sloggy Battle Whatevernesses; MOVE TUTORS; and like, just in general, the pacing is better. If you didn't get the first game, this would absolutely be the version I'd recommend.

If anything, it's made me regret buying Moon since this version is better, but that's not really a good feeling either. I guess I'll see how the postgame pans out.

• Like 1

Up to the first gym in Heart Gold/Soul Silver and the game is just being cruel to me as 8 of my 9 pairs contain a Normal, Water or Grass type meaning I can only actually use 2 pairs so far.

Azurill & Chikorita - Active
Snorunt & Feebas
Delcatty & Giratina
Mawile & Piplup
Cherrim & Spoink
Bronzor & Frosslass - Active
Treecko & Yanmega
Castform & Aggron
Starmie & Vigoroth

So I have Normal (Azurill), Grass (Chikorita), Steel (Bronzor) and Ice (Frosslass).  I can't use any of my water pairs because they are paired with Normal, Steel and Ice.  Once Azurill evolves and becomes a Water type I could use Delcatty and Giratina.  I would have such a better team if I didn't use my damn shiny Azurill.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm three (I think) Badges into my Heart Gold/Soul Silver randomizer and I finally have decent teams to use.

Heart Gold - Azuramill (Shiny), Bronzor, Gible, Monferno and Pineco
Soul Silver - Bayleef, Froslass, Girafarig, Toxicroak and Rampardos

The randomizer is making me enjoy the games because I don't know what I'm going to fight and I end up with some interesting teams.

I'm glad you can turn off things like Sonic Boom and Dragon Rage so you don't just lose Pokemon with nothing you can do about it.  Doesn't help against Self Destruct and Wobbuffet's but I'm okay with that challenge since you can at least do something about those most of the time.

Awful luck.  Trying to catch a Golem and he crit self destructs and kills my Pineco, making me lose my Pineco/Rampardos pair.  On the plus side the route before I caught Tyranitar/Electrode so I had an instant replacement.

Current Teams:
Azumarill, Bronzor, Gible, Monferno, Tyranitar
Bayleef, Frosslass, Girafarig, Toxicroak, Electrode

I think Gold has the better team.  I got a Pineco for both teams and they both died on me, which sucks because I love Forretress.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally finished Team Rainbow Rocket Castle. That was. Uh. That was kinda fun but not really worth $40. The entire time you're going through these annoying teleporter puzzles while a bunch of grunts come at you with one-pokemon teams with shit like Haunter and Muk, some of which only know 1-2 moves.

The fights with the game big bads are pretty cool, though. I learned that the Pokemon AI is really helpless in the face of a Coiling Arbok.