Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I think Aloha sucks.

Gyms are Pokemon. You can tweak it and improve that, but the challenges in Sun and Moon just aren't enticing me at all. I think the basic battling and evolution mechanics are getting way too complicated for the sake of it too.

I don't really see how the gym system encompasses Pokemon at all - they were gateway checks, nothing more and nothing less and the system in Aloha served that purpose ten times better by not tossing 'this is the ___ type gym' in your face with the same tired, drawn out formula time after time.

• Like 1

I liked the idea of Sun and Moon a lot more than the actual execution. The Ultra Beast stuff never really clicked for me and I never really cared about Lillie and Nebby, so the fact the story relied so much on them was a drag. But I guess the big thing was also the complete lack of post-game content once again. If they did a little more it might have been worth something.

Honestly the only thing I'm excited about for this is Gold & Silver re-releases, because they're still the best Pokémon games. Hell, HG/SS (and B/W, to be fair) are still the most recent peak of the games for me.

• Like 1

For me - XY is the peak of gameplay, BW is the peak of story, RBY is the peak of characters, RSE is the peak of post-game, DPPt was probably the most balanced game, and Alola was the most innovative. I'm just salty because I don't like change in my favourite games really. The same happened with FF, and I like my JRPG's to stick to a formula that works. Sun/Moon feels more like a game in the Colosseum series than the main series to me.

As an example, Tekken is 9+ games deep, still has some of the most simplistic gameplay (and complex, at higher levels), and I still love that almost as much as day one.

I'm surprised and a little disappointed that US/UM aren't going to be on Switch, as that would be the selling point for me on the console.

46 minutes ago, Benji said:

For me - XY is the peak of gameplay, BW is the peak of story, RBY is the peak of characters, RSE is the peak of post-game, DPPt was probably the most balanced game, and Alola was the most innovative. I'm just salty because I don't like change in my favourite games really. The same happened with FF, and I like my JRPG's to stick to a formula that works. Sun/Moon feels more like a game in the Colosseum series than the main series to me.

As an example, Tekken is 9+ games deep, still has some of the most simplistic gameplay (and complex, at higher levels), and I still love that almost as much as day one.

I'm surprised and a little disappointed that US/UM aren't going to be on Switch, as that would be the selling point for me on the console.

No love for GSC? >_>

• 4 weeks later...

I really can't get into Moon. I just don't like the setting or the change to the gym system :(

Just something about arriving in a new town after travelling through a cave or long route and finding the next gym was thrilling for me. I really can't be bothered with Aloha. It seems to have gotten even more complex for the sake of it too and I wasn't that sole on mega evolutions to begin with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You only get ONE per game, enter the code within the dates of the hat you want and thats the pikachu you get.

It's stats are

Level: 1
Nature: Hardy
Ability: Static
Moves: Thunderbolt, Quick Attack, Thunder, Agility

Event Code: PIKACHU20

Original: September 19 to September 25, 2017
Hoenn: September 26 to October 2, 2017
Sinnoh: October 3 to October 9, 2017
Unova: October 10 to October 16, 2017
Kalos: October 17 to October 23, 2017
Alola: October 24 to October 30, 2017

• 2 weeks later...

So in an attempt to spice things up I'm taking on a weird challenge of playing Pokemon that hopefully makes my life both fun and infuriating.  I"m trying what is called a Soul Link challenge.  basically I'm playing Fire Red and Leaf Green at the same time using Nuzlock rules with some additions.  So outside only being able to catch the 1st pokemon in each route and death being permanent...also Pokemon from Gen 1-3 are included in the Fire Red/Leaf Green run.

- The game is completely randomized so all wild and trainer pokemon can be literally anything, also all trainers Pokemon are 20% stronger than normal.  Items are also random and all TM's have a random move BUT they are still compatible with the same Pokemon (so Brock give me Rock Slide in one game but the actual move I got was Petal Dance which can only be taught to Pokemon who can learn Rock Slide).

- The first encounter in each area are linked across games.  So my Starter in Fire Red and my starter in Leaf Green are linked.  If one is in the active party, so is the other.  If one is boxed, so is the other.  If one dies, they both die

- I can only have one of each Pokemon Type across BOTH teams.  So if I have an Ekans (Poison) on one team, I cannot have another Poison type on either team.  This only accounts for the primary type.  If I have Ekans, I would be able to have Bulbasaur since its is (Grass/Poison).

The challenge here is the massive restrictions on the team force you to use Pokemon you normally wouldn't and having essentially an active Party of 12.  So if Red catches a Dragonite ont he same route Green catches a Paras, I will have to use the Paras just to have access to the Dragonite, and if the Paras faints I lose the Dragonite.

I did start and get up to the Rock Tunnel but I realized I made a massive mistake and have to start over.  I got my Route 2 and Viridian Forest encounters mixed up.  Route 2 was Lairon/Umbreon and Viridian Forest was Whismur/Mareep.  Whismur died because Brock had a Charizard but I boxed Umbreon instead and used Mareep a lot when he should have been dead.  So I'm going to restart over the weekend and give random updates of how it goes.

• Like 2

I got up to Mt. Moon on both games and things have been both frustrating and weird.

Starters: Machop and Bagon - Great long term pair, and due to the set up Machoke will evolve to Machamp by level up.

Route 1 - Seadra and Mawile - Decent, I like Seadra but using Mawile is hard

Route 22 - Sentret and Bellsprout - Gives me a third pair, at least Victreebel will be good.

Route 2 - Starmie and Mankey - Can't use at the moment since it'll give me 2 water and 2 fighting typles

Viridian Forest - Sandshrew and Mudkip - I kind of want to use this instead of Seadra/Mawile but I would need to grind to have Brock, so Box for now.

First Death - Trainer in Viridian Forest had a Regice, I sent my Machop in and he used Explosion.  RIP Machop and Bagon

I beat Brock using just the teams of Seadra/Furrett and Mawile/Bellsprout.  Had to get a little creative with the Green game since Brock had a Metagross so Bellsprout was useless.  Got useless TMs so Mawile now has Fury Swipes because why not?

Route 3 - Ivysaur and Aron - GREAT pair, but I would need to box both my active pairs to use them, so I might need a huge party switch

Magikarp - Even trading for this guy is random and I got a MEWTWO!  The other game got a Lugia!  But they are both Psychic so I can never use the pair....

Mt. Moon - Kabutops and Eevee - Another great pair but I need an evolution stone.

So even after all that my active parties are still Seadra/Furret and Mawile/Bellsprout since all my box Pokemon have one member of each pair that is Water, Normal, Grass or Steel.

I'm probably going to switch up my party and go with Sandshrew/Ivysaur/Kabutops and Mudkip/Aron/Eevee and send my leveled up pair to the Box