The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Do they still do the L1/R1 thing for aiming and shooting on PS4? I've never had that explained to me, why they went that direction on PS3. I can't remember exactly the controls for stuff like Timesplitters on PS2 but I'm sure it wasn't L1/R1.

It can't surely be because they realised they fucked up with those triggers and hastily made everyone adopt this new standard?

From what I've read, that's exactly what happened. It's been rectified with the PS4 controller and it's lovely triggers.

The triggers are better, but I still prefer the XB1's with the haptic feedback. And it sounds stupid, but my hands feel too far apart holding the PS4 pad. I'll still likely end up getting one eventually (pretty much twelve seconds after any announcement of a new Wipeout).

• 3 weeks later...

New Playstation Plus goodies for Europeans in September:

PS4: Velocity 2X, Sportsfriends (also on PS3)

PS3: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (also on Vita), Hoard

Vita: TxK, Joe Danger

The comments on the Playstation Blog are hostile as usual, but I think that's a really nice selection with plenty of variety. I know most people want the big blockbuster titles, but I've always found that the more eclectic months are my favourite.

Controller really isn't important in choosing a console. They both work perfectly fine and even if you don't like it at first, you'll get used to it and forget there was ever a problem.

Disagreed, completely. I've had a PS3 since 2006 or 2007 and I still, quite often, am not used to the PS3 controller. It's a flimsy, cheap-feeling piece of shit. And it sucks to hold for an extended amount of time. The N64 controller is still an unwieldy piece of shit and it has always sucked and will continue to suck forever.

And I legitimately have put off and may just not get an XBox One because I think the triggers feel like ass. I've played it the XBone a good amount and still I'm not used to the triggers. They just feel unresponsive. And if I'm spending like $400-$450 on a console, I want the controllers to feel good. It feels okay, but I still can't get used to the triggers and dunno if I ever will. So it's kind of a problem that won't go away, and definitely never did for stuff like the PS3 or N64.

And the Wipeout studio is completely disbanded, so good luck getting a new Wipeout game. <_<

It's interesting because I knew several people who loved the N64 controller, but I could never get used to it. Honestly, the various Playstation controllers haven't been my favourites, either, although I hear that the PS4 controller is a decent improvement. The Xbox 360 controller is my favourite of the post-SNES era of more complicated button inputs, although I'm also one of very few people who liked the super-chunky original Xbox controller. Maybe having a big piece of kit in my hands just felt empowering. I don't know.

I've never had a problem with the Playstation controllers, but then they're the first ones I used regularly. I never really played enough SNES or NES games to grow attached to the controller and the 360 pad always felt too bulky.

• Like 1

I've loved every PlayStation controller, and the N64 one. I could understand a complaint if the shape of a dual shock doesn't suit, but cheap feeling? I don't think I've had anything better for build quality.

I've loved every PlayStation controller, and the N64 one. I could understand a complaint if the shape of a dual shock doesn't suit, but cheap feeling? I don't think I've had anything better for build quality.

The PS3 controller is fine as a controller (God-awful triggers aside), but it eats a big ol' dick when it comes to feel sturdy and reliable. It feels like I could easily snap that thing at any second. The PS4 controller, on the other hand, is god-damned amazing.

You should be grinding in the dungeons. It won't ever make that apparent until you waste days and get your ass kicked.

Is the grind more important than the social link aspect?

Anyway, I fancied buying a few random cheap games to give them a bit of a try:

Syndicate

Resistance 3

Alpha Protocol

Now, I remember enjoying the previous Resistance games, and know that Syndicate/AP didn't exactly set the world alight, but might as well.

I'm honestly not sure, I got about halfway through before my interest waned but I never really understood what the benefits of social links were. It doesn't really affect it though, if you're playing at home you can literally just grind for hours and hours in the dungeon then leave it on charge when you're bored before coming back.

I feel like I'd have gotten much more into Persona 4 if I'd ever fully understood the battle system. I mean, I got it at the time, but so many intricacies escape me that it just never really clicked.

I'm honestly not sure, I got about halfway through before my interest waned but I never really understood what the benefits of social links were. It doesn't really affect it though, if you're playing at home you can literally just grind for hours and hours in the dungeon then leave it on charge when you're bored before coming back.

I feel like I'd have gotten much more into Persona 4 if I'd ever fully understood the battle system. I mean, I got it at the time, but so many intricacies escape me that it just never really clicked.

Like what?

And social links make a HUGE difference. Let's say you have a level 10 social link with Yosuke. If you fuse a persona that is under The Magician (at least, I think that is his social link), you will get a MASSIVE experience boost. Heck, even at link level 2 or 3 your Persona will gain a few levels.