The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

I'm really curious about this. I might pick one up eventually, but mostly, I can't see it doing as well as the Mini NES or SNES.

I don't think there's the level of nostalgia for the PS1 that there was for the NES or SNES - less coherent brand identity, fewer games that one would instantly relate to the console, marketing focused at an older fanbase at the time, and the sad fact that early 3D ages a hell of a lot worse than good quality 2D games. I can see a lot of people getting frustrated by going back to games they remember as classics and being confronted with terrible camera controls, jerky, stilted movement and Lara Croft's weird polygonal breasts.

Being moddable would be nice, though with the NES you could easily fit a chunk (if not all) of the library. ISOs though, you're talking up to 700mb per disc. 

Two controllers is nice but only original model means less compatibility. Ape Escape is dual shock only, right? 

And it's a bit redundant but, yeah, not sure how nostalgic people will be for those early 3D graphics. Nice 2D like Link to the Past feels kind of timeless. Still, I feel like some of those choices might hold up. Like, in my head I feel like Tekken 3 will still look OK. 

Presumably $99 will become £99 which I'm less impulsive of in comparison to the Nintendo releases of 50 and whatever the SNES was, 60/70?

From the games they've listed so far, I've never heard of Jumping Flash. 

I'm not gonna get it, as nice as the idea is. I've got the SNES classic already and that's filled up with PS1 games already, and I'm not particularly attracted to any of the games they've announced already and I imagine they're probably some of the biggest names.

15 minutes ago, King of Pain Ellis said:

Two controllers is nice but only original model means less compatibility. Ape Escape is dual shock only, right? 

Yeah, which is why the SNES classic and modding with a USB stick is really a better system, as you can use the Wii classic controller which has analog sticks. 

Tekken 3's a bit of a nice surprise, given that it was never available on PSN, apparently because of the Gon licence. Final Fantasy 7 isn't much of a draw because it's going to be available on all current consoles soon.

Honestly, I don't see this having the same appeal as Nintendo's offerings. It's more expensive for starters, and I can't really think of many games they could offer that haven't already been available digitally for a few years. I know that the PS4 doesn't have backwards compatibility so that Sony can sell the games to you again later, but I'm sure plenty of people have kept their PS3/PSP/Vita, and they're all perfectly fine homes for PS1 games. The possible nostalgia hook of the PS1 controllers isn't even even much of a factor either, seeing as the controllers on all Sony's consoles have been so similar.

1 hour ago, King of Pain Ellis said:

From the games they've listed so far, I've never heard of Jumping Flash. 

I definitely remember Jumping Flash, one of the first games I played on the PSX, along with Pandemonium.

On 18/09/2018 at 00:38, 9 to 5 said:

Guys, come on. Cymbols is from Wales aka Bizarro world of Europe, of course Spiderman is the heel in his eyes.

I'm Welsh too... 😞

Maybe Cymbols is just J Jonah Jameson in disguise?

I'm not a Marvel nerd and have only really seen first Avengers, Guardians 1 & 2, and the latest Spiderman (plus the first two Spiderman films with Tobey Maguire), but the game is fantastic. For me, Spiderman is easily my favourite superhero, but mainly because of the 2000 game and Spiderman 2 game because they were so fun to play.

The only way I could see this tempting me is if they include some obscure hidden gems. Versions of Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Castlevania and Silent Hill are all well and good, but they're easily available on other Sony platforms and often go on sale below a fiver. Then you've got the recently remastered versions of Crash and soon Spyro, the originals of which are also available for peanuts.

It might be fun to own so I'm thinking of getting one. Ape Escape is pretty much literally the only game that would be out of bounds, so eh.

Seriously just get a Pi if you're thinking about modifying for something though. SNES hacked with a USB or not, it's just a million times more versatile anyways.

I'm still on part 2 so I've no idea what the ending is, but I would hope that the success of Spider-man will spawn a franchise, maybe even for other Marvel characters if they can get the licences.

I'd put it on a par with the Arkham games which I didn't think a superhero game would ever get near to.

2 minutes ago, Apsham said:

Playstation Now finally supports downloading PS4/PS2 games instead of streaming them. They've left out the one console that I would've cared about that kinda stuff for - but hey, progress is progress in that regard!

I was really excited to read this news today, as our internet up here in Canada sucks compared to what's available in the States. But you know this, maaaan.

Though, after my initial excitement, I remembered how much it cost and that Xbox Game Pass is half the price and I've been playing Doom on that... and I don't think I'm going to subscribe unless Sony starts throwing all kinds of awesome shit on PS Now.