Beijing Olympics 2008

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Because the schedule isn't helping me an awful lot, does anyone know when the Hockey starts? I love me some Hockey. And if you could provide the full groups/schedule for that, thanks.

Olympic Hockey doesnt start until about January 2010 in Canada. I dont know if you were being serious or not but that would probably be why you couldnt find anything on it if you were in fact serious.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Best sequence ever :D

Although I have to admit, I'm psyched for the fact TSN is apparently showing a bunch of Handball. That sport needs to catch on.

Shit, I remember watching Australia win in the last few seconds at the last Olympics, But they need a good goalie to become favorites.

and on a completely unrelated note...

Plubby for London 2012!

Yup fourth in the medal table and I can totally believe that looking at some of the events we're the best in.

My time difference over here is great but Japan have a history of purely showing Japanese athletes (boo) but I can go to the local American bar (boo US events) or hopefully the British bar which has British Eurosports and has a good history of showing sporting events. I love the Olympics soooo much, but we can't trust the shifty Chinese not to screw it up somehow.

Still, come on Britain, let's take that fourth behind three geographically huge countries.

I unfortunately have the next week or so off work, so I'll be watching the opening ceremony with GUSTO~!

Watching all those countries be introduced makes me feel good. Do Kosovo have a team? And do Hong Kong or Macau have teams? And do Taiwan/ROC have a team? I'm assuming PR China have forced them to compete as Chinese Taipei or not at all...as usual.

Edited by The Kraig

US vs. Japan soccer:

Good to see the US get a win against Japan even if they were lucky to win 1-0. They held possesion pretty well but Japan had a couple of counter attacks that could have easily been goals. This game was a must win with the other 2 teams we are facing, if we wanted any chance of advancing. Next up is the Dutch, which is a game that getting any points from would go a long way to ensuring we get to the next round. Too bad the soccer games are so early in the morning but I will still be watching to matter when they are on.

Figured I might want to spoiler that in case anybody might watch the game online or a replay of the game.

Edited by Green Demon

Battle between Australian and British Sports Ministers over Games medal tally

By Ben English, National Olympics Editor

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/beij...5014104,00.html

AUSTRALIAN Sports Minister Kate Ellis has thrown down the gauntlet to her British counterpart, telling him to put his money where his mouth his. Ms Ellis is challenging British Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe to a bet after his government declared that Britain would beat Australia in the Olympic medal tally in Beijing.

After jetting into Beijing, Ms Ellis said the British were getting a bit ahead of themselves by suggesting they would top Australia for the first time in 20 years.

And she reminded the British of their dubious record when performing in the heat of battle.

"I am meeting with the British Sports Minister tomorrow morning actually and I might be prepared to put a wager on with him,'' Ms Ellis told Beijing Now.

"But all I can say is I hope their athletes can handle pressure because their Government is putting it on their shoulders in pretty heavy loads at the moment and I hope they don't crack under it.''

Mr Sutcliffe's Cabinet boss, Sports secretary Andy Burnham said Britain would beat Australia at these Games following a $500 million splurge on its Olympians in the lead up to the London 2012 Olympics.

"Other countries and old rivals like Australia now look to us as a country that got serious about sport and are saying they are in danger of falling behind team GB in the medal table,'' he said.

"We are about to enter a glorious new era for British sport and I hope success in Beijing will inspire the next generation of young sports stars.''

Ms Ellis said the British weren't renowned for their ability to perform at the pointy end of sporting contests.

"That's at an Olympic level and at a number of other sports,'' she said.

"I just hope the athletes can sustain that sort of pressure.''

The Sports Minister said the Olympics suited Australia down to the ground because, with a smaller population base, we loved our underdog status.

"Australians, we love a challenge and we love to exceed expectations and to punch above our weight and that's something that we have done on sporting fields and particularly in the past decade or so,'' she said.

"The English to this point haven't really been up there with us but we know that they have been putting in a huge effort ahead of London and we know that there are enormous emerging challenges for the Australian team.

"But I'm not sure that they're (the British) ready to pip us just yet - we'll see.''

Asked if she took particular pleasure in defeating the Brits, Ms Ellis said: "I am happy to beat anyone, pretty much. I enjoy beating the British but we're happy to beat anyone and I think that most Australian athletes would feel the same way.''

Minister stakes shirt on Olympics

Gerry Sutcliffe

Mr Sutcliffe's pledge follows a ministerial spat over medals

Minister Gerry Sutcliffe has bet his shirt on one of the fiercest rivalries in world sport: Britain v Australia.

The sports minister promised to wear the Old Enemy's green and gold if Team GB is beaten in the Beijing Olympic medals table.

Meanwhile, his Australian counterpart is offering to don red, white and blue if Britain does better.

In 2004 Australia won 49 medals and GB 30. A government spokesman said: "Green is not really Gerry's colour."

'Choke'

The Olympic rivalry was stoked when Culture Secretary Andy Burnham predicted Great Britain could overtake Australia in Beijing.

Australian sports minister Kate Ellis retorted by saying British athletes might "choke" under the pressure of competing at the highest level

She followed up the claim with a sartorial wager.

Mr Sutcliffe told the BBC: "Kate Ellis has challenged me that, if Australia win more medals, then I would have to wear their shirt at a UK event, and if we won more medals she would do similar in Australia."

A Department for Culture, Media and Sports spokesman said: "There has been a great sporting rivalry with Australia and that will continue in Beijing.

"It's good to see that Kate Ellis is showing the courage of her convictions by having a bet with Gerry.

"We hope that it is her donning a British top in Australia after the games rather than vice versa."

Australia and Britain have a sporting rivalry going back further than the modern Olympic Games - founded in 1896 - themselves.

Rugby union

Most famously, cricket's Ashes have been competed over since 1882, with England - including Wales's Simon Jones - winning in 2005.

The trophy was snatched back with a series whitewash in 2006/07.

In rugby union, England have knocked Australia out of the last two world cups.

However, in rugby league, of which Mr Sutcliffe is a devoted fan, Australia currently reign supreme - having beaten Great Britain in the last Ashes series.

In the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Australia's 49 medals, including 17 golds, put it fourth on the overall table. Great Britain's 30 medals, including nine golds, put it 10th.

Bookmaker William Hill has Australia at 1/2 to maintain superiority in Beijing, with Team GB on 13/8. Punters can get 14/1 for a tie.

William Hill's media relations director, Graham Sharpe, said: "Australia are expected to struggle to keep up their medals tally. Britain's most optimistic outcome is about 41 medals.

"If the Aussies are not quite up to their best they might be overtaken. They have had wonderful times, but I suspect we are on the up and they are about to decline gracefully.

"Mr Sutcliffe is still an outside bet not to lose his shirt, though. I don't suppose anyone will mind seeing a politician with egg on his face if that happens."

More than 200 countries are taking part in the Beijing games.

Oh it's on (H)