AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Maxx

Amazing episode, I can't believe AVClub gave it such a low grade.

I'm on the side saying Judith is in fact, not dead. For one, the car seat was unbuckled...zombies wouldn't be able to unbuckle a carseat. There was no body...a zombie would've snacked on the little one right there in the car seat. Plus the blood on the car seat was very minimal - most likely from whoever unbuckled her.

On the run, it would make sense for whoever grabbed her to just take the baby instead of lugging around an awkward car seat in the chaos. I'm not sure it was Tara because we never really saw her involved much in the action enough to have blood on her. I read somewhere else that there's a part after Tyrese and the girls had their moment on screen, there is an explosion where you can see Tyrese running in the background holding something in his arms (his gun is slung over his back, so it's not that). I'm not sure I buy that theory, but it was interesting.

I'm not sure if Tara and Lilly are sticking around for the second half of the season or if they were only around for the Governor storyline, but if it was Tara who took her, I think it would be interesting to see if they try to replace Meghan with Judith.

Im pretty sure I read somewhere that game Lilly was supposed to be comic Lilly but at some point they decided against it.

Edit:- looked up her wiki page

Lilly (Video Game)

Trivia
  • Upon the release of the Road to Woodbury novel, which features a different back-story for Lilly than the video game, the developer Telltale Games removed from the official website all references to Lilly being the same character from the comic series. Also, the in-game achievement that displays when Lilly leaves the group was changed from "Woodbury bound" to "What now?"

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching the first half of the season.

The flu storyline would have worked well to compliment another big storyline, but it wasn't enough to anchor the first half and that is essentially what happened. Especially because the stakes were never really high with the flu: no one we really 'cared' about was sick. Glenn was sick, but it was readily apparent they weren't going to kill him when he wondered aloud how he managed to survive zombies and crazies and he might get taken down by a flu. The only real impact the storyline had on the season was Carol being kicked out of the group. I get what people are saying when it seemed this season that the writers were willingly to introduce and sacrifice new characters and it was a bit stagnant.

Hated the Governor-centered episodes. The first episode was probably amongst the lowest points of the Walking Dead when I watched it and after the last episode, it was definitely the lowest point of the show. The montage, the beard, the whole 'searching for himself' stuff didn't ring true. Especially after he dies - why focus two episodes on a villain who you are going to kill off the following episode in an anti-climatic way? The writing just seemed poor for the first half of the season and it was almost as if they realized 'oh shit, we should have killed the Governor last season, so lets kill him off.'

While some of the performances were great on the show (Hershel, Carol, Tyrese, Carl), some of them were borderline terrible. In particular, Andrew Lincoln's Rick seemed to go off the rails. At the negotiation between Rick and the Governor, when Rick initially refuses to go out and he yells something to the extent of 'I'M NOT THE LEADER ANYMORE, I WON'T COME OUT AND NEGOTIATE' I rolled my eyes and realized that the show would be much better off without Rick around. The whole season he came off as cheesy and ridiclous. His character doesn't have a lot of legs left on the show and I think they definitely need to transition the helms of the show to somebody else. Him being the leader of the group is getting really forced and Lincoln's performances are suffering.

I actually dig the direction for the show if they stick to a fragmented approach. I actually think Season 4 should have really centered around the fracturing of the group and following them on different paths: some may look for the original group, others move along, some get lost along the way. It'll give the show a sense of urgency and (hopefully) votality that the show needs. I don't think we need a mass culling of characters, but I do think the writers were on cruise control the first half and putting everybody in harms way could shake things up.

In terms of direction: I think Rick needs to go: his character is parody by this point and I can't really see what he's got left to offer the show. I think it is likely he won't be killed (for obvious reasons), but I think the show needs somebody else as 'the face' to keep it fresh. Glenn needs something substantial other than Maggie: he needs some sort of growth that he's lacked the last two season. Daryl has been written relatively great; he is never overexposed and we always want more. Carol needs to step up; she is a great actress and the character is well written. The Greene Girls are good, but they need to be defined as something else other than a significant other. Maggie especially. It was nice to see her holding down the fort as Hershel dealt with the illness because it had nothing to do with Glenn. She is a badass and we need to see more of it. The newer characters: Bob, Sasha, Tyrese, Michonne have all been done pretty well. I mean, Bob hasn't been fully fleshed out, but I think he could get something a bit meatier in the second half.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...