General Television Thread

Hellfire

We just finished re-watching all 9 seasons of The Office again - what a ride - reaffirmed for me that Jim and Pam are still my role models for a relationship - definitely bawled like an absolute newborn at the 2nd to last episode

• Like 3

On 03/09/2019 at 06:46, Lint said:

Finishing up Hulu's Catch-22 mini series.  6 episodes.  Really liked it.  Never read the book or watched the original movie so I liked coming into it fresh

Yeah I watched this not too long ago, and thought exactly the same. Would definitely recommend.

On 05/09/2019 at 06:23, Benjamin said:

I need to watch the second season of that. The first season was really good. 

The second is even better. 

Just finished season 4 of The Sopranos which is, obviously, outstanding. Every episode is just insanely good; there's so much going on, so much texture and so much depth. 

Also, is anyone watching Stath Lets Flats? Season 2 is even better than Season 1, it's the funniest shit on TV. 

Also getting round to GLOW and it's great. 

Oh, got the finale of Eastbound and Down left to do. That was also great. 

Robert Axelrod has passed away. Probably best to known, at least to my generation, as Lord Zedd from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Benji said:

"Drift Away" in the Steven Universe movie was my favourite song the show has done.

Hide contents

Utterly heartbreaking too, Rose really wasn't a particularly nice gem despite how much everyone adores her.

She's actually pretty shit. 

Also....

Mr. Universe?! Who would have expected a Greg/Steven fusion?!

4 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

AppleTV+? How many more streaming services does there need to be? 

The only thing I can see increasing as a result of this is piracy to be honest. 

That being said, that show looks good.

When Netflix streaming became big, it seemed like the traditional cable companies were out of luck because (in Canada at least) Netflix at $10 with the selection they had was comparable to a $70 cable bill. The only selections missing that really kept people with cable were sports.

Then we ended up with sports streaming services, as well as the rest of the emerging services we currently have, and in order to satiate your tastes, you could now be looking at streaming bills of $50 - $200 a month depending on what content you want. People have been conditioned to believe that streaming is cheaper than traditional cable, so as new services emerge or peak someone's interest, it really is only going to encourage them to find ways to pirate content from services that don't offer more of interest to them than what they currently use.

I personally have Netflix, CraveTV, Shudder and Amazon Prime. Originally, it was just Netflix... then corporate fun reared its head and several shows ended up being removed from the service because their rights were purchased by Crave... so I signed up for that. Then I realized that neither service really delivers horror in the way that I would like, so I found Shudder, and while it's extremely affordable as a service, just adds one more thing to my monthly bill. Luckily, I was given access to Prime by my landlords, because they rarely ever use it for video. So, for those services, it's something like $40 a month because I'm not paying for Prime myself.

Then, last year, I also had the NHL Gamecenter service, which was about $15-20 a month with the full year subscription... I was also giving WWE my $9.99 a month, though I have since stopped because fuck WWE. I still have New Japan World, and I've paid for both Double or Nothing and All Out, and will probably end up paying for a service if necessary to watch the AEW on TNT shows.

And now we've got AppleTV and Disney+ launching... plus Disney is going to be pushing all of the more mature Disney/Fox content to Hulu, and that means potentially three more services for me specifically to be contemplating (when Hulu is available in Canada).

If the selection on traditional cable wasn't garbage, it would completely be worth it to head back that way for a lot of people. Instead, the selection and rigidness of channel packaging from traditional cable companies will instead work against them as people stop wanting to add to their streaming selection, and we'll get far more piracy. I don't think we'll ever get back to the amount we had in the early/mid 2000's though.

Yeah the logic behind paying for a streaming service went from it's "cheaper alternative to cable TV" to it's "better quality than cable TV"  pretty much overnight.

The shows on AppleTV+ look good, my employers provide me wth new Mac products pretty much yearly so at least this year's going to be free for me!

• Like 1

On 11/09/2019 at 08:48, Liam Mk2 said:

AppleTV+? How many more streaming services does there need to be? 

The only thing I can see increasing as a result of this is piracy to be honest. 

That being said, that show looks good.

I'm currently subbed to Netflix, Hulu and Disney+, all of which I share with other people

In return, I get Prime Video and HBO from other people

SNL hires their first ever Chinese cast member and at the same guy hired a guy who used a bunch of slurs about Asian people on a podcast in 2018.  Great work guys!