World Cup 2010 Thread

This must be the worst first week of a world cup, ever.

Granted this is only the second I've watched closely, but it definitely feels like a huge let down compared to the first week of 2006. Australian bias aside (I'd much prefer the epic 3-1 win over Japan to the clinical dissection at the hands of Germany) - there just haven't been any scoring thrillers or draws based on evenly matched teams rather than one under-performing and another putting ten behind the ball.

The only games I've genuinely enjoyed as spectacles so far have been Korea/Greece (for personal reasons) and Mexico/South Africa.

The opening match was good.

Thats the only one i have not seen, Universety was calling. The Japan vs Camaron game was the third one i actualy fell asleep watching...

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Mexico/South Africa was a good game. I enjoyed Germany-Australia too but I can see why you might not consider it to be exciting. :shifty: I enjoyed Ghana/Serbia too. I dunno... while it hasn't been a great opening week by any stretch, I'm not jumping on the "this is shit" bandwagon just yet.

If Italy/Paraguay ends 1-0 and Ivory Coast vs. Portugal sucks, then maybe. Spain/Switzerland I also have high hopes for.

Edit: Ahh shit, Mick McCarthy's on screen and words are happening. :@

Edited by Farmer Reil

Mexico/South Africa was an amazing game. Germany/Australia had the goals but was too one-sided. The rest has been very poor. I'm dying for at least a 2-1, 2-2 match.

It's pretty telling that the majority of games have been 0-0, 1-1, or 1-0. I understand that nobody wants to lose, but a little 'do or die' would make things interesting. Brazil/Portugal/Cote D'Ivoire should give us that since they're going to have so much competition for those top two spots.

Mexico/South Africa was an amazing game. Germany/Australia had the goals but was too one-sided. The rest has been very poor. I'm dying for at least a 2-1, 2-2 match.

It's pretty telling that the majority of games have been 0-0, 1-1, or 1-0. I understand that nobody wants to lose, but a little 'do or die' would make things interesting. Brazil/Portugal/Cote D'Ivoire should give us that since they're going to have so much competition for those top two spots.

In the Portugal/Ivory Coast match, both teams must really be thinking they have to win that one since anything against Brazil would be a bonus and both surely expect to beat North Korea. So I think they will either go for the win or play out a 0-0. The best of times, the worst of times. We will see. >_>

In the Portugal/Ivory Coast match, both teams must really be thinking they have to win that one since anything against Brazil would be a bonus and both surely expect to beat North Korea. So I think they will either go for the win or play out a 0-0. The best of times, the worst of times. We will see. >_>

I'm afraid Portugal/Ivory Coast will be a DUD 0-0.

I've watched every game and I think it has been great so far. Maybe you're all expecting too much compared to what you are use to watching (Premier League, Champions League, etc)? Aside from the usual footballing superpowers who have been there year in year out (Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, etc) remember there are a lot of poor sides who are likely to play each other in the group stage and not produce thrilling games of technical brilliance. For example, Algeria/Slovenia.

• Like 1

I'm afraid Portugal/Ivory Coast will be a DUD 0-0.

How much do you have on it?

I'd love for North Korea to surprise everyone and sneak onto the 2nd place of the group by beating Portugal or Cote D'Ivoire, who seem down because of the loss of Drogba.

• Like 1