World Cup 2010 Thread

Plus the USA game, I doubt Spain were too arsed with the Confed cup.

God I hate that line of crap.

#1 in the world, record winning/unbeaten streak .... trotted out this lineup:

Iker CASILLAS (GK)© Gerard PIQUE Carles PUYOL David VILLA XAVI Fernando TORRES Cesc FABREGAS Joan CAPDEVILA XABI ALONSO SERGIO RAMOS Albert RIERA

So what?

Just because you put out a strong team doesn't necessarily mean you're taking the game completely seriously. For Spain, pretty much every match that tournament was a glorified training exercise.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a fantastic win that everyone envies. But in a tournament that the players didn't really care about, I do doubt they ran themselves into the ground to win the game back especially since they probably didn't have the legs to do so.

A world class team can still half arse it, you know.

Absolutely, and I'd be more inclined to to lend credit it to it had I not watched the match, and there not been a record streak on the line for Spain.

Just to add to what others have said, I also think that things like streaks and records, whilst nice and all, mean more seemingly in the stat heavy sports in the US than they do in Football.

I can't believe people are downplaying Spain in the game. They dominated the game, and if you want to ignore the possession, they had a staggering 20 SHOTS ON GOAL. TWENTY! It's absolutely amazing, and a testament to the goalkeeper, that Spain never scored.

Switzerland only scored because of sheer luck. That garbage that was there goal, was complete garbage from every point, and every player involved. It shouldn't have happened basically.

I am certaintly not taking away Switzerlands win. They won, and good luck to them, and Spain once again do what they always do in the world cup, but it is sad on Spains part, when they played like magicians. They are certaintly an amazing team to watch.

• Like 1

Just to add to what others have said, I also think that things like streaks and records, whilst nice and all, mean more seemingly in the stat heavy sports in the US than they do in Football.

Eh, but the 15 game winning streak and 35 game unbeaten streak would certainly be a 'prideful' thing even to football players surely ? While it might hold more value over here, I highly doubt the Spanish players didn't give a crap about them. Also, going into the match they hadn't conceded a goal in 450 mins or something insane like that.

Looking over the stat sheet ... yeah I remembered the Spanish effort pretty well:

29 shots (8 on goal) - 17 corners

they tried.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get this into anything bigger than it is. I just find it really lame when people bust out the 'they didn't really care' line about that match. That's all.

I can't believe people are downplaying Spain in the game. They dominated the game, and if you want to ignore the possession, they had a staggering 20 SHOTS ON GOAL. TWENTY! It's absolutely amazing, and a testament to the goalkeeper, that Spain never scored.

Switzerland only scored because of sheer luck. That garbage that was there goal, was complete garbage from every point, and every player involved. It shouldn't have happened basically.

How many of those TWENTY OMFG shots on goal weren't potshots from just outside the box? They 'dominated' the game because Switzerland allowed them to.

The best move of the game was when Derdiyok hit the post for Switzerland. For all their 'domination,' Spain couldn't create a chance better than that.

The second goal was ugly and came about because of route one football, but those goals are just as valid as any other. Calling it garbage just reeks of an upset fanboy typing through the tears because his favourites lost.

• Like 1

So happy Spain lost! :w00t:

Oh and LUKIE, 20 shots isn't really that many...England had 18 against USA, and people where ripping us to shreds for drawing.

The only team I've seen whose really looked good in the first round on matches who looked great where Germany.

Edited by Version Dan
  • Like 1

Germany has been the most impressive simply because they did what they were supposed to do. The are a top team that played a lesser opponent. They went out, looked good not because the other squad was lesser, but because they played well. The got a solid result like they should have. They are the only team to do that thus far.

Also, Maradona: "Pele has to go back to the museum." :lol: