World Cup 2010 Thread

Well, we need to pray for Ghana to destroy Australia today, then hope we can scrape through and they can get something against Germany, otherwise, it's either the end in the group stages or in the second round to Germany.

I'd think we'd play better against a team who want to actually win, Neither USA or Algeria have shown that desire, and have both sat back allowing us to get to the edge of their box before crowding out with defenders then hitting us on the counter, however that does not excuse some of the performances from England players, Glen Johnson may as well have been playing for Algeria last night, and noone seemed to want to use pace, walking around passing it slowly and making it obvious to the Algerians where the next pass would go.

Edit: Our best play came in the 40 or so minutes after we scored against the USA, when they actually had to open up and try and get a goal, then Rob Green gifted them a goal and we've looked shit ever since.

Edited by Version Dan

Ugh, here we go again. Japan just happy to put everyone behind the ball and wait for the Dutch to commit too many upfront. Sick of this 'playing for a point' shit, it feels like Mourinho is managing half these teams.

• Admin

Back to what Rooney said to the cameraman - you cannot blame England fans for booing. They have spent thousands of pounds on travel and accomodation to cheer on their team, who we thought for the first time in decades had a realistic chance of doing well in a tournament. Yet the team play as if they're already on their summer holidays. So they have every right to boo.

Your dreams are all around Mourinho aren't they?

Let's be honest, his ideals are not great. Put 10 men behind the ball and make football dire to watch to win. The total opposite of Barcelona, and Inter's win over Barca has set a standard of 'even if your players aren't as good, defend in large numbers and counter to win. The worst games at this World Cup have been the one's that both teams have wanted to do this, happy to play for a point.

Who really wants football to be like this? It'll ruin the game.

Your dreams are all around Mourinho aren't they?

Let's be honest, his ideals are not great. Put 10 men behind the ball and make football dire to watch to win. The total opposite of Barcelona, and Inter's win over Barca has set a standard of 'even if your players aren't as good, defend in large numbers and counter to win. The worst games at this World Cup have been the one's that both teams have wanted to do this, happy to play for a point.

Who really wants football to be like this? It'll ruin the game.

The thing is, the guy defended because he had Motta sent off early and he had to defend his advantage at away turf. It's not like he did the same at San Siro against Barcelona, or any other game of the Champions League for that matter. Inter played positive football against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, San Siro against Barcelona. You can't really compare a second hand game, defending an advantage with a group stage or a league game for that matter.

Won thirty quid predicting USA to come back and level 2-2 after going down 2-0 at half time (I put it on at half time, I'm not that good at predictions.). But naiwf and sahyder make me laugh a lot. HAHAHAHA! See?

Oh and if England dont win the next match 29-0 with David Cameron challenging Kimmy for his golden boot then I am going to cry.

Yahoo Sports is reporting that there is talk that the referee from the US/Slovenia might be out of the World Cup.

Also, is it true that FIFA does not require officials to actually say why they made a certain call? Peter King from SI is reporting it. He has a great enough reputation that I don't think he would make something like that up.

I didn't think they publicly have to say anything, however I think when they book or send off someone they have to give a reason why, like 'dissent' or 'professional foul', etc when they note it in their book.

Other than that, unless they are questioned by FIFA or someone similar, I don't think they do.

According to the US players the official didn't give them a reason.

Wow, tough luck for Japan right there just now. I ended up oversleeping so have missed most of the game but it looks like I've seen 3-4 good scoring chances in last 6-7 minutes.

An England fan got into the England dressing room after the game. Thereby showing more ability to penetrate defences than his country have for ages. ¬_¬

Missed the Netherlands game because of the rugby. Doesn't look like I missed much. Ghana vs. Australia should be awesome.