General Movie Thread

Jimmy

On 21/08/2020 at 20:26, Tigerstyle said:

I watched Zombieland 2 today, it’s fine, not the sleeper bomb the first was.

I also watched The Faculty, this era of horror is great, Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, The Craft.

The Faculty, along with Disturbing Behavior, are solidly two of my favorite late 90s sci-fi/horror movies.  Have always loved those two movies.

Oddly, despite its pop culture status, I don't think I've ever seen a single Scream movie.

I've talked about RedLetterMedia before, and some people have dismissed them for being too cynical and "hating everything".  If you think that, I'd suggest giving their Re:View series a watch, which is just them talking about movies they love (except the Independence Day episode).  The most recent one, from today, is about Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure/Bogus Journey

Just finished Bill & Ted Face The Music on Youtube and geez...if there was ever going to be a "feel good" movie for the current times, this was definitely it.  Just fun from the get go

I really want to watch Tenet but man I don't want to go to the cinema in this current climate, even if here in Malaysia it's pretty much stamped out. Just the thought of having to wear a mask in the cinema plus social distancing puts a bit of a bummer on it :( 

On 28/08/2020 at 19:24, Lint said:

Just finished Bill & Ted Face The Music on Youtube and geez...if there was ever going to be a "feel good" movie for the current times, this was definitely it.  Just fun from the get go

Face the Music was everything that I wanted, but didn't dare hope to dream for, in a new Bill & Ted movie. It was most excellent, and easily one of my favorite movies of the past year. The casting was fantastic. Anthony Carrigan steals our hearts, Samara Weaving is just the best in everything, and everyone else was great. If they decided to carry on with movies about the daughters or Dennis, I'd be down for that.

On 22/08/2020 at 01:26, Tigerstyle said:

I also watched The Faculty, this era of horror is great, Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, The Craft.

90s horror is my favourite era after 1950s horror/sci-fi. But maybe I just like a world without social media and with that wet hair look.

I'm amused Bella wouldn't take her dumb nose ring out for continuity sake. Unless ghosts get their noses pierced when they're in limbo.

On 31/08/2020 at 11:48, Gabriel said:

Face the Music was everything that I wanted, but didn't dare hope to dream for, in a new Bill & Ted movie. It was most excellent, and easily one of my favorite movies of the past year. The casting was fantastic. Anthony Carrigan steals our hearts, Samara Weaving is just the best in everything, and everyone else was great. If they decided to carry on with movies about the daughters or Dennis, I'd be down for that.

See, while I thought she was good, I didn't think Samara was 'great' as Bills daughter, but Brigette Lundy-Paine was GREAT as Teds daughter.  They seem like they really watched the first two movies to get Keanu's mannerisms as Ted down, they even nailed the way he spoke and moved.

Just with everything going on in the world these days, it felt great to just watch a movie that was just...positive all around.  No matter what problem was put in front of Bill and Ted or their daughters, it was just meat with "No problem, we'll figure it out"

It really is the perfect feel good movie for the current time.  The world needed Bill and Ted to remind us to Be Excellent to Eachother

I love the Halloween aesthetic captured in this movie every bit as much as I despise Sandler's character choice here.  Swinging hard for what? Developmentally disabled?  Cool choice bro, big laughs. :rolleyes:

He did threaten to make a terrible movie if he didn't get the oscar for Uncut Gems.

It could have a been a barely average, totally inoffensive halloween movie, perfectly fine for Netflix, if he had just decided to play this loser character as like awkward and dorky.

Well, I'll say this. I've owned a copy of Dune for years now and I've never really even started to read it - even as much as I love sci-fi it has always been a blindspot for me. I think I just always had the perception that only the first book was worth anyone's time and I've been sinking a lot of my time and energy into series so I didn't bother.

Anyways.

That trailer is going to make me break that book out here ASAP.

Does anyone else see Dune being a massive bomb?

It's probably a lazy comparison but I've always seen Dune as 'Star Wars without the popularity'. Now, you've got this $200m film, based on a 50+ year old book no-one under the age of 40 has read that's not actually all that good to begin with, a talented but lacking in a real box office draw cast, the pandemic, and it's opening right before Christmas and a week before Wonder Woman 1984?

Seems like a perfect storm to lose $100m and be the industry's new 'John Carter'.

• Like 1