Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

On 3/13/2018 at 15:06, thatshortguy said:

Played a few rounds of Into the Breach and I think that roguelike/strategy mashup has passed me by.  I was super-jazzed about it initially, but quickly felt less like I was playing chess and more like I was playing checkers with a kid that wanted to change the rules constantly.

I kinda enjoy it whilst also feeling that I am basically shit at it.

18 minutes ago, Liam said:

I kinda enjoy it whilst also feeling that I am basically shit at it.

It did evoke a similar feeling as FTL prior, but the worst parts of that.  I never felt like I ever accomplished anything, even as I was doing so, just because I expected the game to completely hose me the next time out.

So I picked up the Witness, which I would love if not for the fact that the puzzles go from challenging to fake hard bullshit fast.

One of the many examples that led me to do a rare thing for me and abandon the game entirely...

Spoiler

The binary trees. There's a point where if you look at the tree at the same angle that you've looked every other tree to get your answer, the answer is wrong. Which is cheap enough as it is, but then because you got it wrong you have to go back to the previous tree, re-solve that puzzle, then go back and try to solve it again. They're not even next to each other, meaning you actually have to move your avatar back and forth for no good reason other than to pad the playtime.

I love puzzle games. Catherine was a blast for me, even on Hard mode. I've played both Portal games, and when it comes to enviromental puzzles, I've done every Riddler thing in all four Batman games and 100%d the non-Online bits of Watch_Dogs.

But this bullshit? This bullshit can go fuck itself. Can you imagine if in Catherine, you suddenly had a level where your controls would be reversed every ten seconds, also the field is of several colored blocks and one of those colored blocks will explode if you step on it killing you instantly and which color changes every five seconds and the colors of the blocks change every eight seconds? Because if you can, that's what it's like doing a Witness environmental puzzle.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

So don't install The Witness? Got it. I'm finding the Talos Principle to be a bit of a grind. I only go back to do a few puzzles now and then. Gonna take a minute I reckon.
Catherine is such a good looking game. I've not played it but seen it played through a few times.

4 minutes ago, Rocky said:

So don't install The Witness? Got it. I'm finding the Talos Principle to be a bit of a grind. I only go back to do a few puzzles now and then. Gonna take a minute I reckon.
Catherine is such a good looking game. I've not played it but seen it played through a few times.

I've seen people who do like it comparing it to Talos Principle, so if you're considering that a grind, yeah, don't touch this.

Definitely play Catherine. Be warned, you WILL die in that game, a lot. Try it in easy mode first, then go for the harder modes if you repeat throughs.

Also Catherine tip: Treat the interludes as an RPG. Drink booze, go to the bathroom, play the arcade cabinet, and talk to all the NPCs. Especially the first.

Also also, your decisions in the confessional booths will decide your ending. Especially the ones near the end of the game.

• Like 1

I have a 25% off coupon for The Mage's Tale if anyone wants it.

Tried to play Urban Chaos yesterday, unfortunately I couldn't get it to run past the intro FMV and none of the 4 bajillion fixes I found for this issue seemed to work.

So I'm playing ACII.... which I needed to fix by disabling the Uplay overlay.

And people wonder why the console market is still doing well.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SHAMNADA said:

Urban Chaos, holy shit that takes me back.

I was in full Camp Nintendo when it came out so I missed it entirely. I'll try to get it running again, but I've tried pretty much every solution and between that and the fact that it won't process kill properly, I don't think I'll be able to play this unless someone makes a restoration mod or somethin'.

Between Urban Chaos and Oni, there were some absolutely brilliant 3rd person action games that didn't get the praise and love it deserved. Especially Urban Chaos, which gave a chance to free roam through cityscapes two years before GTA 3 came out and 'defined' the genre. Not the greatest game, but certainly fun as hell when I got to play it on PC when I was a lad.

Also Oni was absolutely great, and if it had been developed/published in this day and age it would've been a hit for sure with how much Anime culture has become much more widespread in the west, and concepts like Oni's GITS-esque world garners much more interest.

Oni's fighting system was crazy too, like full on fighting-game complexity that allows you to do wall-runs, cartwheels, and a swath of other moves that even today look damn good. Of course Bungie got famous for a different game that came out in the same year as Oni, so it's the forgotten bastard child between Myth 1/2 and the Halo franchise.

Unfortunately Oni is not on Steam. Would probably be a pain to configure properly too.

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy is coming out on PC?! I missed that news entirely, but I knew about it being released for Switch and Xbox One. I've already completed it for PS4 but I want it again :( 

• Like 1

Playing AC2 side quests. One assassination quest says I have to do kills without weapons as the citizens are noticing my usual methods.

Well three of the targets are archers, and my MO with them is to simply chuck them off the roof soooo.....

19 hours ago, Owen said:

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy is coming out on PC?! I missed that news entirely, but I knew about it being released for Switch and Xbox One. I've already completed it for PS4 but I want it again :( 

You want to go through Slippery Climb again? You're beyond help.

• Like 1