General Gaming Thread

TKz

2 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I haven't played Stardew Valley in a while, mainly because other things distracted me. Is the multiplayer mode good with strangers or is it like most games, which rely on having people you know playing?

It's decent with strangers, but the real enjoyment is with a few friends. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I haven't played Stardew Valley in a while, mainly because other things distracted me. Is the multiplayer mode good with strangers or is it like most games, which rely on having people you know playing?

It's for sure tailored more towards playing with people that you know, I'd say - as there's a shared money pool and everything has to go to bed at the same time to make the day pass, etc.

The girlfriend and I are using it to keep in touch with a friend of ours who moved to Toronto for school, so we're all playing with a Facetime call open, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apsham said:

It's for sure tailored more towards playing with people that you know, I'd say - as there's a shared money pool and everything has to go to bed at the same time to make the day pass, etc.

The girlfriend and I are using it to keep in touch with a friend of ours who moved to Toronto for school, so we're all playing with a Facetime call open, etc.

Sounds good. Is it cross-platform at all?

1 minute ago, Bobfoc said:

Sounds good. Is it cross-platform at all?

The update is only out for the PC version right now - and you can go between GOG Galaxy and Steam, I believe. And while the update is coming to other things, I don't think there's a plan to make it cross-console sadly.

Playing Stardew Valley with friends would be an odd experience for me I think. It certainly would be the right kind of game to enjoy with others but for me it was just such a chill out by myself type of game, wandering around doing nothing in particular was a big reason why I liked it so much. Having friends play would make it more mission based I feel and would lose some of the game's charm.

Also, if anyone I played with went after a NPC that I want as a partner it would be war! :angry:

In other news, Untitled Goose Game is GOTY 2019.

I played a bunch of games at PAX! Some of them were really good (I see you, Untitled Goose Game) but I really want to give a shout-out to The Quiet Man, the most absolutely bewildering video game I've played in ages. It's an absolute mess on every possible level in a way I kind of love because I know an oral history about this game is going to come out at some point and I need to understand every single bit of rationale about how and why the game got made, and why Square would sign off on putting their name on it.

Don't know how many of you are familiar with League of Legends, but one of the esports players for Team Vitality was staying at our hotel in Madrid yesterday where they had an event on - a quick Google search told me that Cabochard was his name. I didn't know what game he was playing at first, but he was in our lift in full Vitality gear.

• Like 1

I picked up Yakuza 0 as it was on sale and I had always wanted to try out the series, but was worried that I wouldn't know what was going on. Everyone seemed to be suggesting that 0 was the ideal starting point.

I can't believe I've been missing out for so long. This game is every bit as fun and utterly stupid as I had hoped.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I picked up Yakuza 0 as it was on sale and I had always wanted to try out the series, but was worried that I wouldn't know what was going on. Everyone seemed to be suggesting that 0 was the ideal starting point.

I can't believe I've been missing out for so long. This game is every bit as fun and utterly stupid as I had hoped.

I love this game. I need to pick it up back up actually, but I've been away from it so long it will probably take a while to get back into the mechanics. 

Sometimes the cut scenes are a drag though, but the side quests more than make up for it. Some of them are exceptionally stupid but so fun.