General Gaming Thread

TKz

8 minutes ago, Apsham said:

So... Prey.

I don't know why I slept on this game for so long, but it has to be one of the best things out there in recent years for me and it's also one of the only games that has put me in the atmosphere of it almost entirely in recent memory too.

Fucking loved that game when I played it earlier this year! The story is great, the gameplay is top notch, and the creatures can scare the heck out of you. 

Playing Detroit Become Human. Amazing game but

Spoiler

Androids being relegated to the back of the bus? In Detroit? Subtle as a brick and totally unbelievable that nobody would have noticed the parallels to boot.

Finished.

Spoiler

Played Kara as a protector, Markus as mostly pacifistic until pushed too far, Connor having a good relationship with Anderson and is a mostly noble cop until converted at Jericho.

Kara and Alice escape to Canada sacrificing a Jerry, Markus goes to war, Connor does a mass conversion and fails to save Anderson but avoids getting hijacked by Amanda. Overall good end.

Fantastic game, and as much as I love Heavy Rain it's hard to argue that this isn't even better. Brilliant work, but yeah, the imagery isn't subtle at all.

I think DBH also is one of the best, if not the best game when it comes with truly divergent storytelling and there being a litany of different endings with different permutations. I've seen two play through's and just read your spoilers, and I think only one thing is generally the same at the end with everything else completely different.

I just realized something in Detroit: Become Human

Spoiler

So CyberLife's plan is for Connor to go deviant, right?

So why does Connor's relationship with Amanda drop to Betrayed?

Probably meant to throw you off a la Shelby's thoughts in Heavy Rain, but they could have avoided the inconsistency by... you know... not giving a relationship meter for Amanda.

11 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

I just realized something in Detroit: Become Human

Hide contents

So CyberLife's plan is for Connor to go deviant, right?

So why does Connor's relationship with Amanda drop to Betrayed?

Probably meant to throw you off a la Shelby's thoughts in Heavy Rain, but they could have avoided the inconsistency by... you know... not giving a relationship meter for Amanda.

Warning, massive spoilers of divergent plotlines in D:BH

Not really, their plans is clearly for Connor to stop Markus and squash any sort of rebellion. It's on you to decide how 'human' he becomes through the software instability things, the more humanlike he becomes the more everyone around you start to nudge you to being pro-rebellion, even Hank for some reason. If you take the evil/cold route and stay the focused and loyal Connor, then Amanda respects you more and in the end you can choose to stop Markus rather than join him (depending on how much/little software instability you got, it's either a choice or you're locked into one of the two).

Major spoilers for evil-connor.

Of course being ice-Connor means you're basically the worst person, and all runs i've seen has Hank lose all hope in humanity and shoot himself as a result. But i'll say this, fully committed Connor is like classic T-1000 levels of scary intensity.

The part where you meet Kamski and tests you by asking you to shoot one of the Chloe models is basically just Kamski being a manipulative dick. He might be the inventor of the models, but he's not loyal to cyberlife at this point in time. Amanda is based around his mentor, but again, Kamski by all accounts is just a guy 'enjoying' his retirement and playing games with robots. It's hinted a bunch of times that he's the one that put the errant bits of code into the androids, so he's mostly just there to fuck with Connor and sate his own curiosity whether or not androids can achieve sentience.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Spoiler

I actually considered having Connor break his programming and stay a loyalist anyway for the sake of story but realized that there was a chance that meant Connor might die so I turned him because Connor was by far the best of the three.

Also to your point

Spoiler

Yes but Amanda outright says that you were planned to go deviant and join Jericho the whole time. If anything she should be more upset if you don't go deviant because things aren't going all according to keikaku (keikaku means plan).

Also about Kamski

Spoiler

I didn't have Connor shoot Chloe at Kamski, but that was because Kamski said beforehand that this was a test to see if Connor would show empathy. Meaning that I took it as Kamski would probably give intel anyway.

Also you would think a scientist would know that outright telling a subject they are being tested can alter the results.

With the HD re-releases now available, I finished Shenmue for the first time, having only played bits of it before. It's often said that it's a "love it or hate it" game, which makes me feel a little awkward because I'm somewhere in the middle.

The controls, as everyone says, are bad, but they're not quite as frustrating as the stiffer tank controls in games like Resident Evil. I got used to them fairly quickly and only had a few times when I felt overly inhibited. The dialogue and voice acting is also wooden, but, again, not to the extent that I wanted to stop playing, and I managed to become reasonably engaged with the characters and plot.

My main takeaway from the game is that it puts forward some interesting ideas, but doesn't always present them in a particularly elegant way. Giving the player the chance to train moves to increase their efficacy in battle sounds nice, but it amounts to nothing more than throwing punches and kicks at nothing in a car park. Similarly, putting an emphasis on exploring and engaging with the local area has a charm to it, but out-and-out forcing the player to do it by putting mandatory waiting times between story development is more than a little crude.

So, yes, it's a bad game, but, as an experience, it has its appeal. Normally, I'd reject that sort of setup out of hand, but there's a quaintness about it, stemming from the fact that it's largely one man's artistic vision, that makes it memorable.

Most of all, it's the game world itself that's the star of the show. I've often felt that I'd prefer a small, living map to work with in a game than a massive, sprawling sandbox full of nothing, and the former is very much in Shenmue's wheelhouse. Getting familiar with the districts, the townspeople and the mini-activities was pleasant in a way that trekking across miles of mountain ranges to liberate the twenty-third watch tower never is, and it's that level of homeliness that helps me see why the series is so special to a small group of people.

Honestly, I can't in good conscience give it a universal recommendation, but I wouldn't scoff at it either. When it's inevitably on sale as part of a Humble Bundle or whatnot, I'd suggest giving it a whirl. I wouldn't be surprised if most people hated it, but there'll always be a few out there to take to its quirks.

• Like 1

People are really mad about games being advertised and then getting graphical downgrades prior to release.

Spiderman is a good example.

w5h8JsUA_dP9eyl7xMeGf1buCAa2lhLbBdfU-kCbjB0.png?w=700&s=016e69ab9e0339fd18cff7a135d5d186

But it looks like Rockstar is doing the same with Red Dead 2.

eaQcKTfUrV7eNhnrmOc1RtdpzJwhK0-Mp-T3hWzvFbQ.jpg?w=768&s=64059d27176777e73dece5fca58cbdfd

It's amazing that after Colonial Marines and Watch Dogs that companies are still pulling this crap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1