Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

Brendan Rodgers' Luis Suarez is not a diver campaign has been damaged again, by Luis Suarez who's admitted to diving against Stoke in an interview with Fox Sports Argentina. Rodgers says it unacceptable, though its not clear whether he means diving or admitting it.

The one that sticks out for me is still the handball that put Ireland out of the last World Cup, where after blatantly cheating Henry just went and sat with Richard Dunne and had a chat. I'd have been throttling him...

It's the magical sliding scale we've talked about before, possibly in this thread, where in the fans eyes diving is the worst crime on a pitch, players seem to accept it more apart from the immediate aftermath of a dodgy penalty.

Speaking of diving, I just watched the documentary on Chelsea's CL win on Sky. Drogba casually says in an interview Fabregas admitted diving for a penalty in the semi-final and the two laughed about it afterwards. Has cheating/diving really become that trivial?

When has Didier Drogba ever found diving to be anything more than trivial?

• Like 2

In terms of the Suarez thing, I'm still backing him. He annoyed me a fair bit last season, but this year, specifically the Stoke dive, it's come in the middle of him being denied penalties after being genuinely assaulted pretty much every week. We're forgetting this is the same match that Huth stamped on his chest while he was down. Are we really implying that diving is worse than intentionally trying to hurt another player?

Trying to hurt another player is always wrong. Just as it was when Suarez stamped on Distin and Mirallas in the Everton game. Or against David Jones in the Wigan game a few weeks later. There's a reason Suarez thinks he's vilified by the media and it's because he keeps providing them with stuff to write. Admitting to diving and then complaining about being picked on by the media in the same interview is just asking for trouble.

• Like 2