European Football Thread

IAceI

1 minute ago, DFF said:

Did I read somewhere that they would limit the overall number of teams from one nation competing in Europe overall? So, say Arsenal and Spurs gained those spots in 20/21, it would remove two slots from UL, UC? 

I'd hope that would be the case - but there's nothing in what's been announced that says that and I think it's probably unlikely - the point, after all, is to get these 'big' teams into the competition.

17 minutes ago, MadJack said:

I'd hope that would be the case - but there's nothing in what's been announced that says that and I think it's probably unlikely - the point, after all, is to get these 'big' teams into the competition.

I guess that, in point 3, the idea is that the rule elevates teams from Europa League/Conference to the Champs League isn't it? I just wonder how they backfill that those slots. 

Jesse Marsch is now officially confirmed to be the next Leipzig manager. That's huge for American managers who want to try and make the big step up to managing in Europe. Would love to see more of them get a chance, and really hope he does well at Leipzig. The club is going to have to bring in some good investments in the summer though since they haven't really replaced Werner, are losing Upamecano, and seemingly set to lose Konate as well. Wouldn't at all surprised to see Daka follow Jesse to Germany, who would be the best thing to a Werner replacement as possible.

Hoping Lille do the same thing with Ligue 1 and PSG, being a point ahead and only 3 games left.

The La Liga race is the crazy one this season though, and next week's double header of the top four all squaring off looks super fun.

It's too bad that most of the EPL is wrapped up, there just doesn't seem to be much to watch for outside of West Ham hopefully making the top four. 

Portuguese league is also interesting this year with Sporting looking to end the duopoly of Porto and Benfica from the past 20 years. Had no idea Sporting hadn't won the league in that long since they make frequent appearances in Europe.

Good to see some of the big runs at the top end this year. And then the frantic La Liga race. Would be neat if Sevilla could manage to pull it off, it isn't out of the question if they can win today.

4 hours ago, Benjamin said:

The La Liga race is the crazy one this season though, and next week's double header of the top four all squaring off looks super fun.

If Sevilla beat Athletic Club tonight, that's them firmly in the race, but anything other than 3pts and it's too much to claw back I think.

Plus, Athletic Club beat Atletico last week, and with nothing to play for, might be in the mood to just fuck things up for all in front of them.

I haven't watched as much La Liga as I would like this season, but I'm still subscribed so I'll definitely catch the run-in.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, damshow said:

Portuguese league is also interesting this year with Sporting looking to end the duopoly of Porto and Benfica from the past 20 years. Had no idea Sporting hadn't won the league in that long since they make frequent appearances in Europe.

The 3 of them will always be in European competitions. A bad year for any of them, they'll finish fourth. A terrible year they'll finish fifth or sixth. Those last spots will always be good enough for the Europa league.

3 hours ago, damshow said:

Good to see some of the big runs at the top end this year. And then the frantic La Liga race. Would be neat if Sevilla could manage to pull it off, it isn't out of the question if they can win today.

Just really need to find a way for the rest of German football to stop bowing down to the pressure of Bayern. I get that every German footballer or staff more than likely want to join them, but it’s just impossible for any parity to be created when they’re in essence the entirety of German football. Dortmund are number two and have only won the Bundesliga, what, twice in the past twenty years or something? The only other team to win since then is Werden Bremen if I’m not mistaken which was a one-off. 

4 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Just really need to find a way for the rest of German football to stop bowing down to the pressure of Bayern. I get that every German footballer or staff more than likely want to join them, but it’s just impossible for any parity to be created when they’re in essence the entirety of German football. Dortmund are number two and have only won the Bundesliga, what, twice in the past twenty years or something? The only other team to win since then is Werden Bremen if I’m not mistaken which was a one-off. 

I believe Stuttgart had a random year where they won as well.