Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You merely adopted the Symbiote.  I was....well ok, I guess I adopted it too.."

• Like 3

Before I reopen my Netflix account, are the Marvel movies still on there? I haven't seen Age of Ultron or Winter Soilder yet and I feel like a movie tonight.

57 minutes ago, =BK= said:

Before I reopen my Netflix account, are the Marvel movies still on there? I haven't seen Age of Ultron or Winter Soilder yet and I feel like a movie tonight.

Right now just Civil War is available on the US service, though Dr. Strange is coming at the end of the month

• Like 1

Hmm. Guess I'll go by the one rental place left.

I mean if your streaming, you could just rent from Amazon or Youtube

Winter Solider was good but not as good as people hyped it up to be.

Well, it kinda loses its oomph now that there have been as much films after it than before it. But back then Winter Soldier was a massive revelation and the first real continuity-shattering film in the MCU. One that took a lot of what had been established, and just put a bomb under it. The Avengers had made things fantastical and out-of-this-world, and then Winter Soldier came around and put the MCU right back on earth with massive changes to the status quo in SHIELD being actually infiltrated by HYDRA all along, and many of the bigger names associated with SHIELD being thrown into a situation where they were either being hunted down, 'killed', or were actually bad guys all along.

Also, it was also the first film to really put Steve Rogers in the here and now, without other major names to really back him up. And he just worked so well as the leading man, and because it lacked the superhuman elements of a Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. The fight scenes just felt crisper and generally better made, because whilst Steve (and Widow, and Bucky) got that superserum, the action still got grounded very well.

From what I experienced at the time, it was the best film Marvel had made in arguably the strongest year of MCU films until 2016 up to now. First Winter Soldier changed the game on earth, then Guardians of the Galaxy knocked it out of the park as a perfect stand-alone film in the MCU.

• Like 1

I watched all the Marvel films in order of release, it didn't wow me any more than Iron Man nor Avengers. Like I say, good film, but it suffered a lot from over hype for me, and I'm not even sure that without it that it would have been that good to me. Not taking away from anyone else's experience, I'm clearly a minority and okay with that.

• Like 1

I loved Winter Soldier, though it probably helped that the comic it is (loosely) based on is also a favourite of mine.

I still have Winter Soldier and Guardians 1 as the two best MCU films tbh.

• Like 1

Iron Man & the first Guardians movie are probably tied for my favorite MCU movies. Ant-Man is a reallyyyyy close second.

The first Captain America is probably my most hated, along with both Thor movies.

Edited by tristy
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, tristy said:

Iron Man & the first Guardians movie are probably tied for my favorite MCU movies. Ant-Man is a reallyyyyy close second.

The first Captain America is probably my most hated, along with both Thor movies.

I like the first Thor movie, but it's definitely not as good as it could be. Really didn't like Dark World. The new one looks a lot more like what I want from a Thor movie.

I fucking loved Winter Soldier. It was like All the Presidents Men, with superheroes in it. It totally changed the entire landscape of the MCU, and parts of it are still felt today. Plus, it was one of the few movies that didn't have the plot device of an infinity stone in it, which helped it a lot. 2014 is probably still the strongest year of the MCU, IMO. Winter Soldier also helped light a fire under AoS' ass, so I'm sort of in love with it.

Also, because we must do this every time the MCU is brought up, Civil War, AoU and Winter Soldier are still my favorite films, with the two GotG films rounding up my top five. First Avenger is still super solid as well, for me, though. TDW and IM2 are still the weakest to me.

Wonder Woman comes out in 2 weeks, and I'm still actually super optimistic about it. I hope I'm not disappointed like last year, but I can't wait for this summer.

• Like 2

Yeah, Winter Soldier is for sure in my top five.

I'm bored and have a few minutes so this is probably how I rank them all:

Spoiler

1. The Avengers

2. Captain America: Civil War

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

5. Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2

6. Iron Man

7. Iron Man 3

8. Thor

9. Ant-Man

10. Doctor Strange

11. Avengers: Age of Ultron

12. Captain America: The First Avenger

13. Thor: The Dark World

14. The Incredible Hulk

15. Iron Man 2

There's a big drop from the first six to 7, then another decent drop from Ant-Man to Doctor Strange, which starts the "there are a couple great scenes in here" run, then at Incredible Hulk it's "I don't really remember anything about this anymore" and then at Iron Man 2 it's "okay, this was actively bad."

This might be down to my huge DC preference but I enjoyed BvS more than  Winter Soldier. Speaking of DC movies, is Suicide Squad out on DVD or streaming yet?