Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

I hope the film is good, because DC fans have suffered enough already. Although I fear some people on the internet will undoubtedly usher in the death of everything that's Marvel and exalt the brilliance of DC's vision, completely ignoring their bed-shitting up to this film. >_>

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

The actress or the character?

Actress.  The role was apparently only supposed to be for one season.  She might've had other things lined up before they realized she'd be popular with the fans

If that's the case, I'm laughing. Since by the casting they more or less made Maggie Sawyer into Renee Montoya. 

(Under my real name, I post over at Byrne Robotics, the website and forum for John Byrne, who created Maggie in the first place. And he said Katee Sackhoff is who he would cast as a live-action Maggie. I could see it.)

Because she's not a blonde, blue eyed white girl, she's obviously another Latina character and not the character she's actually playing, right?

Floriana Lima is amazing as Maggie Sawyer, and probably my second favorite character of the whole show after Kara.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Because she's not a blonde, blue eyed white girl, she's obviously another Latina character and not the character she's actually playing, right?

Floriana Lima is amazing as Maggie Sawyer, and probably my second favorite character of the whole show after Kara.

For me thats still Alex.  I've had a thing for Chyler Leigh since she was on That 80s Show.     

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lint said:

For me thats still Alex.  I've had a thing for Chyler Leigh since she was on That 80s Show.     

Tuesday ftw

• Like 1

I thought Wonder Woman was great, Patty Jenkins has knocked it out of the park. I thought it was funnier than Guardians 2, felt so fresh and for all its flaws, it feels important that this character exists right now. Young girls are gonna watch it and totally love it - Diana kicks ass and doesn't sacrifice any femininity along the way. Yeah, there are bits that don't quite work, or push believability, but there's some really standout moments and it totally works. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I thought Wonder Woman was great, Patty Jenkins has knocked it out of the park. I thought it was funnier than Guardians 2, felt so fresh and for all its flaws, it feels important that this character exists right now. Young girls are gonna watch it and totally love it - Diana kicks ass and doesn't sacrifice any femininity along the way. Yeah, there are bits that don't quite work, or push believability, but there's some really standout moments and it totally works. 

For real, I haven't been to an actual cinema in years, but if my sister will let me I totally want to take my nieces to see this.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Benji said:

For real, I haven't been to an actual cinema in years, but if my sister will let me I totally want to take my nieces to see this.

Yes man, definitely! 

I'm so excited for the kids I teach to watch it. A couple of them name-checked Catwoman as their favourite character when they went to see the Lego Batman a while back just because she's a girl who holds her own. I'm so excited for the younger generation to see this character; a woman, who embraces her emotions, and absolutely leads the way and is a total badass. 

The film also perfectly uses the fish out of water premise to highlight how ridiculous the treatment of women was in the second world war - which obviously translates just as well to modern day parallels. It's got some brilliant ideas in there. I'd love to know what your nieces think, you should definitely take them, or just tag along with your sister if not! 

• Like 1

It is the first world war, I wasn't as blown away by it as Jimmy but definitely worth seeing and the film that Wonder Woman needed to be not just for the character but the DCCU in general. I can't really elaborate on what I didn't like too much because it's hard to put my finger on exactly what about the niggles bothered me. If I hadn't spent a bit of the third act struggling to open my eyes due to hay fever hell and been irritated by the girl behind me kicking the back of my seat throughout - or her friend kicking the back of the other halfs head - maybe they wouldn't have bothered me. I'd happily watch it again though.

Oh, it's not like I think it's amazing or anything, I just really like what it represents and I had a really fun time watching it, which has definitely influenced the way I talk about it. Mostly, I'm just excited because it should make a really positive change in the film industry which I think will result in some really great films getting made in the near future. 

• Like 1

Wonder Woman was really damn good. Gal Gadot is a star, her posture and facial expressions totally embodies what I imagined a real-live Wonder Woman would look like. My girlfriend was so into her, the words "bad ass" and "so freaking cool" and "damn she's awesome!" were said one too many times. The action is intense and fast, it hits you in the face, which is what I expect from Wonder Woman, who is almost on par with Superman in terms of strength and power and all that. The movie is absolutely worth the money you pay to watch it. 

It also pains me to compare it to any other DCEU movies, because fuck the DCEU, it doesn't deserve Wonder Woman, but suffice to say it blows any of that shitty movies out of the water.

On 6/1/2017 at 18:47, Benji said:

Take them! My girlfriend and I loved it and we're basically little kids in our twenties.

• Like 2

• Like 1

Wonder Woman was very good. In the grand scheme of superhero movies, I'd put as basically being on par with Iron Man/GotG vol. 2 in that "not the top tier, but extremely fun and rewatchable" category. My only real issue was that the first 80% is wonderful and then the last 20% becomes the DC Comics "they are as gods walking among us" stuff, and that's just never going to be a thing I enjoy. Basically after

Spoiler

they reveal that David Thewlis is Ares, not Danny Huston (which is a thing I mercifully wasn't spoiled on because I never googled the cast), it became too lofty for me, which is a shame.

I guess it's also interesting because in BvS, Diana seemed pretty jaded about human beings but here it's not a full downer ending, which is what I was halfway expecting given that knowledge. I wonder if that's a thing they'll answer/address, and how they'll handle the inevitable sequel. They have too good a supporting cast set in the past not to utilize them again. Maybe a movie that straddles the difference between flashbacks and the present?

• Like 2

Woman Woman wad fucking good. Wow.

My mate has it in his top 3 superhero films and best hero origin story. I can't overly argue (the other two films - Winter Soldier and Guardians 1). 

• Like 1