Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

So, I want to see the new Spiderman but am quite behind on my MCU (last one I saw was the first Guardians), what do I need to consider essential viewing over the next week or so? The 5 in between are:

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant Man
Cpt MURICA: Civil War
Dr Strange
Guardians 2

I'm guessing Ultron and Civil War would be the more pressing ones I would need to see?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah those two if you're just trying to catch up on stuff you might not understand in Spider-Man since he's introduced in Civil War but what happens in Ultron affects what happens in Civil War so it's a bit of a domino effect for that.

Otherwise the rest don't really tie together to Spider-Man at all but are great movies and you should watch them anyways. 

• Like 1

Try to at least watch Ultron, Ant Man, and Civil War in that order. Ant Man isn't critical but fills in some fun backstory for Civil War.

I'm guessing the last 2 will have no bearing at all, but they're good movies. ESPECIALLY Guardians 2. That's one of Marvel's best so far.

That's very true. And frankly, if you intend to see Infinity War, you REALLY need to see those two, Ragnarok, and Black Panther before next summer.

Honestly, I'd recommend spending this year catching up on any Marvel movies you've missed, even the middling efforts (Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World, and Ant Man.)

In 20 hours I'll be in a cinema watching Spider-Man: Homecoming :D

Also, almost got shit spoiled for me when I went on its Wikipedia page, as the whole plot is already written out there. Thankfully the only words I read were "In a post-credits scene" which was literally the reason I went on the Wiki page in the first place.

These were my thoughts on Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Sort-of unspectacular; it's not the best superhero film, nor the best high school movie, but it's refreshing to see a Marvel tell a smaller scale story with its biggest hero. Its intentions are admirable - Spider-Man isn't positioned to prevent the destruction of the world, more to try and work his way through his own personal struggles; what he sees and feels is the end of the world. This manifests itself particularly well towards the end of the film in a delightful turn that goes a little way to enhancing the relationship between hero and villain, but these standout moments come few and far between. 

It stands as a fun ride - a film that felt purposefully and rightfully toned down, a necessary step for a character whose potential has never been realised. That potential still isn't quite realised here but I feel like they're at least really trying to go about it in the right way.

Stan Lee's wife Joan Lee passed away at the age of 95 years old. She made a cameo in the 2016's X-Men: Apocalypse alongside, Stan.

The guy should be celebrating the release of the new Spiderman movie, not burying his wife.

I thought Homecoming was great. The first Spider-Man movie to truly give me the whole package of what Spider-Man is supposed to be, I think. A little predictable, and it's not like we haven't seen most of this particular Hero's Journey before (though the emphasis on Spidey/Peter as being truly working-class and street level helped differentiate it, particularly at the end). And Keaton's Vulture was just a perfectly realized villain, definitely in my top five as far as the MCU films go.

Solid upper-middle-tier Marvel film for me. About on par with Iron Man and Iron Man 3.

• Like 1