Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Broken Cloudy said:

Doug Liman's out of Justice League Dark, reportedly because he wasn't "feeling the script".

I think you mean Dark Universe.  Not to be confused with Universal's Dark Universe, which is what they are calling their shared universe of new Universal monster movies, starting with The Mummy.

Is there any word on Cat for next season? I assume she's not returning as a regular, but I'd be surprised if she's not in at least a couple of episodes.

(I also hope the scene with Cat and James as Guardian means he's going to get a new helmet. Not just add a black lens covering the eyes. The helmet design sucks, and just adding a black visor won't fix that.

Producer Andrew Kreisberg said she's "looking to pursue other opportunities"..:(

I guess the Wonder Woman review embargo is up, since io9 put this up at midnight

The Wonder Woman Movie Is Even Better Than You Hoped It Would Be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

I don't read reviews before I watch the movie itself, but I am still trying to not get my hopes up for this. 3 more days!

I generally don't either, but this one I'm looking at reviews, because I WANT it to be good.  As of now, it has a 96% on RT.  Granted, I know that will come down a bit as more come out, but BvS and SS both started at like a 60% or so....I'm kinda hopeful

Other WW reviews:

4 / 5 - Empire
4 / 5 - Total Film
2 / 5 - Guardian

Their criticism seems to be 'it has the same issues as other DC films, and having a woman leading it isn't enough to get through those issues' which is fair and is my main concern for the film itself. I'm sure some people are going to find more enjoyment in it purely because you get to see Wonder Woman as a lead character and for me even that's enough to give it a chance, but I am sincerely hoping for something different as well.

1 hour ago, Apsham said:

Their criticism seems to be 'it has the same issues as other DC films, and having a woman leading it isn't enough to get through those issues' which is fair and is my main concern for the film itself. I'm sure some people are going to find more enjoyment in it purely because you get to see Wonder Woman as a lead character and for me even that's enough to give it a chance, but I am sincerely hoping for something different as well.

I feel like this one is going to deliver, if only because it shifts from the previous films' beating us over the head with how "grim-dark" they can be. Wonder Woman is a story about triumph against all-odds, about the power of love and gives us a DC movie where the title character personally stands for and embodies hope. As long as they don't shoe-horn a bunch of the dark shit for dark shit's sake like they keep trying to do, the lead debut of Diana Prince should be the best DCU movie yet.

That isn't to say that Wonder Woman can't get dark later, or that the DCU should be some kind of happy sunshiny place... but dark and hopeless only works after you've established the world. If you want a darker present world, you have to approach it with a lead character that symbolizes hope and conquers the darkness in a way. The Crow is a perfect example of a "grim dark" movie that starts in that world. Eric Draven is a symbol of hope and love in a very dark and bleak world. Batman and Superman, and the Suicide Squad, in the DCU are hopeless characters in a hopeless world. It's like they gave the pen to a 12 year old who just got into anti-heroes and told them to go crazy.

Wonder Woman should be a nice departure from that. The world she comes from is beautiful, and the world she meets is horrifying, but still filled with hope and optimism in many ways... and she herself is the sword that hope and love wields against the enemies of the world. As long as they understand that, even if the acting or story aren't the best, it's going to be the best DCU film yet.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I feel like this one is going to deliver, if only because it shifts from the previous films' beating us over the head with how "grim-dark" they can be. Wonder Woman is a story about triumph against all-odds, about the power of love and gives us a DC movie where the title character personally stands for and embodies hope. As long as they don't shoe-horn a bunch of the dark shit for dark shit's sake like they keep trying to do, the lead debut of Diana Prince should be the best DCU movie yet.

That isn't to say that Wonder Woman can't get dark later, or that the DCU should be some kind of happy sunshiny place... but dark and hopeless only works after you've established the world. If you want a darker present world, you have to approach it with a lead character that symbolizes hope and conquers the darkness in a way. The Crow is a perfect example of a "grim dark" movie that starts in that world. Eric Draven is a symbol of hope and love in a very dark and bleak world. Batman and Superman, and the Suicide Squad, in the DCU are hopeless characters in a hopeless world. It's like they gave the pen to a 12 year old who just got into anti-heroes and told them to go crazy.

Wonder Woman should be a nice departure from that. The world she comes from is beautiful, and the world she meets is horrifying, but still filled with hope and optimism in many ways... and she herself is the sword that hope and love wields against the enemies of the world. As long as they understand that, even if the acting or story aren't the best, it's going to be the best DCU film yet.

This is a great post by the way. Just had to point that out :P 

• Like 1