Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, it says that the relationship between those two characters isn't romantic not that either of them aren't gay. That Variety reporter made the comparison to a relationship in the comics that involves only one of the characters in the film. They may be wanting to adapt that arc with the actual characters.

Not that it isn't accurate that Marvel has had issues with representation but there's an awful lot of assumptions being made off of a few seconds of footage and a vague press comment by Marvel for a movie that's still 10 months away from being released.

Edited by livid
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Apsham said:

But in the comic the relationship is between Ayo and Aneka. Okoye is a different character entirely. It doesn't look like they're denying her sexuality, just a relationship that is in and of itself - not canon.

You're right! I didn't even notice that. It's easy to assume the worst since they are generally pretty awful

1 minute ago, New Year New Srar! said:

You're right! I didn't even notice that. It's easy to assume the worst since they are generally pretty awful

Most articles that you find on the subject imply that the relationship itself is canon, this one included so I don't really blame you for not noticing. It made me stop and think for a moment because it goes from talking about Ayo and Aneka straight to swapping out Aneka for Okoye.

Does the MCU really have no queer characters yet? I guess they don't because I can't think of any meanwhile in the DCTVU I can think of 5 off the top of my head.

27 minutes ago, =BK= said:

Does the MCU really have no queer characters yet? I guess they don't because I can't think of any meanwhile in the DCTVU I can think of 5 off the top of my head.

Well depending where you look, there are sites that somehow prove that everybody in the MCU is gay. :shifty:

Edited by Jasonmufc

I don't know if this is technically spoilers for the comics, but I'll put it in spoilers anyway:

Spoiler

To be fairer than Marvel probably deserve, I'm not sure I could name another gay character beyond Iceman/Bobby Drake in the entire Marvel Comics stable, and without having the rights to X-Men I'm not sure who - beyond the example from the Black Panther above - they could've included in the MCU as representative of LGBTs without changing someone's canon - which they could do, of course, but there's probably not the will there.

Spoiler

Bobby is the worst example! :P He just recently got retconed to be gay and it was really, really dumb. Northstar  is the big go to gay X character because of his marriage. But you're right though. I just tried to think of some and just keep thinking X characters they don't have.

OH I HAVE ONE THEY COULD USE! Ultimate Spider Woman. They have Spidey back so they could just rip her storyline from the books.

21 hours ago, =BK= said:

The TV side has a couple. There's Joey Gutierrez, one of the Inhumans who was recruited for Skye's team in Agents of SHIELD last season, and Jeri Hogarth from the various Netflix shows. But certainly nothing compared to the Arrowverse shows/Supergirl.

Hellcat was awesome and Kate Leth is doubly so, she comes to the local comic shop a few times a year and she's really down to earth. Sucks that his first major Marvel comic dropped off so quickly in sales, but that's the nature of the beast and as talented as she is I'm sure she'll pop back with something new.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 review in one image (that only makes sense if you've actually seen the film):

Spoiler

C_DIENyU0AAev5t.jpg

Those beautiful bastards :wub:

• Like 10

Spoiler

I miss my basic Zune. I still have the HD but the HD doesn't have the little games on it.

• Like 1

Oh man, the lyrics to the GotG2 credits song... :lol:

(The final line is a spoiler, I guess.)

Spoiler

That weird thing by his side's an infantalised sequoia
The two of them walk by, people say "oh boy-a"
They ask me why I'm bringing a baby into battle
That's really irresponsible, and getting them rattled
I say "Give me a break. Get off of my back, damn it!
I didn't learn parenting - my daddy was a planet!"

• Like 4

Man GoTG2 was so much fun

• Like 2

In regards to GotG 2. 

Couldn't shake the feeling it was trying too hard, but that doesn't stop all good stuff seeping through too. I appreciated what they were trying to do with the emotional arcs, and for every emotional beat that feels like it doesn't land, there's something else that really works. Not as funny, slick or inventive as the first, but a welcome chapter in their story - it feels like an in-between chapter, a necessary step before telling something that fires on all cylinders. They've developed a strong ensemble - the sense and theme of family shines through the missteps.

• Like 1