The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Is it really so soon? It's like a year and a half after.

Yes. It wasn't too long ago that 3 years was considered too soon.

But also, if you take into account the spinoff, that's 3 Star Wars films within 18 months so I can understand why some may consider that overkill. That opinion doesn't really reflect the current Hollywood climate but I can understand why those numbers would scare you, I guess.

• 1 month later...

I feel weird about this. All the stuff that I know got me super super excited but none of the new characters are doing anything for me yet

Why would you, though? They're new characters in a film you haven't seen, we don't have a reason to care yet.

Dat ending, though. We're home. :')

• Like 4

Fuck, this is great. It feels like Star Wars in the same way the best video games/shows/extended universe stuff feels like Star Wars, just on a grander scale. Just gotta stick the landing now.

I can't fucking wait 8 more months.  This feels like all the stuff that fans of Star Wars want, like the many spinoffs and video games as GoGo said.  Where the video games are often made by fans who are good at making video games this is being made by fans who are good at making movies.

I have a lot of faith Disney wouldn't put together a team that would possibly ruin their investment in Star Wars too.

I liked that. Could take or leave the corny one-liner stinger ending, but that's the sort of thing the trailer needs, I get that.

For me, what's given me confidence in a movie I was previously kind of ambivalent about was pretty much just one shot - the wrecked Star Destroyer. It's a fantastic set-piece. One of the things that made the original trilogy work was the sense of age, of history, of a universe that existed whether you were watching it or not - the locations, the vehicles, the costumes, everything felt old and worn and lived in. In the prequels everything was shiny and glossy and new and didn't have an ounce of character or believability as a result, whereas in this trailer everything just looks knackered.