The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

Yeah, Vertonghen was amazing. Another clean sheet, too. A good point, all in all, it was a very even match. We really do miss that killer pass at the moment, we just don't create enough clear cut chances - you can see Soldado getting frustrated. I love Holtby's energy, but I'm not sure he should be starting the next one for me. I say it every time, but we need to give Lamela some minutes - he's never gonna settle if we don't. I'd give him a chance in the number 10 role, to be honest, I think he'd do well there. Either, a good 0-0.

Yeah, I'd be interested to see what that'd be like with either Holtby or Eriksen deeper, with Lamela ahead. It doesn't look like Townsend's going to be moved from the right, and I don't really see Lamela as a wide left player. Holtby seems to play pretty deep. Either way, we do need to work on feeding Soldado. Also Townsend was back to shooting too much today, which was a shame to see. I'm still very excited to see us build on this, as I expect we'll only get better. If we can keep the clean sheets and start to work out our attacking tactics we could be quite excellent.

I don't think I've ever seen him play there before but Vertonghen was a brilliant left back, other than his size, you'd never think he was actually a centre back.

Vertonghen and Kompany are probably the best two defenders in the Premier League.

Belgium for the World Cup!

Is Danny Rose ever coming back? Or is Vertonghen just too good at left back to move in once he's fit again?

I have absolutely no clue what's going on with Rose's recovery. There was talk that he was mostly ready to return like a month ago and now that's completely stalled out. Worse yet is the fact that in swift succession Zeki Fryers and Kyle Naughton have both gotten injured in the last two non-PL games so that leaves LB depth as being Vertonghen and an out-of-position Vlad Chiriches.

I have no idea how Chelsea have managed to remain in 2nd after yesterday, but fuck I'll take it.

You lost, and actually managed to move up to second. :(

I have no idea how Chelsea have managed to remain in 2nd after yesterday, but fuck I'll take it.

You lost, and actually managed to move up to second. :(

Well, we were second on Friday, so it was only for a few hours that we dropped down to third...

He was good, just very non-chelant and not very good at adhering to tactics. I'd quite happily have him back around, but ultimately, a top quality left book would be very helpful. If we could somehow land Luke Shaw I'd be overjoyed, as he looks very promising.

AVB - "Hugo still doesn't remember the incident with Lukaku so he lost consciousness there, but he seemed assertive and determined to continue and showed great character and personality,"

AVB confirmed for having shit for brains for thinking it was a good idea to let Lloris continue when he couldn't even remember the incident straight after getting knocked out.