(Spoilers) The thread where CALIFORNIA LOOOOVE~!

Plubby

I think that they're trying to placate some fans by keeping MacLean/Cherry (err, well, Cherry mostly) so that it doesn't feel too different... but that Rogers still wants to move forward and improve the presentation of their broadcasts, and modernize a bit.

I don't know how well Strombo will do as the host of Hockey Night in Canada, but he's Canadian, he likes the sport, and he's hip and cool to the youngsters... right? Hip and cool? That's what we're going for?

It's an experiment to hopefully improve the broadcast. I don't see Rogers wanting to keep Don Cherry around longer than they have to, so they will try this, and if it doesn't work, expect them to try something else until they find a way to squeeze Grapes out of the show altogether.

One thing that really bothered me the other night during the Flames/Canucks game, is that CBC Play by Play guys and Commentators have this awful habit of Englishing up the names of foreign players. Not all of them. Just some of them. The game wasn't particularly bad, but it happened enough that it reminded me how much I'm going to miss the TSN guys next year when CBC and Rogers are the only providers. Rogers isn't bad, but it's not TSN either. Hopefully they step up and start trying to steal away some of these TSN guys to amp up their quality.

Strombo is gonna be the host for HNIC? I think that might actually turn out to be pretty cool. Not sure how he'll get along with Cherry though.

I don't think they will have much interaction. Ron MacLean's contract was re-upped with Cherry's. They have two more years with the show.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DefendingBigD/status/443199704374185984?screen_name=DefendingBigD

Unfortunately it looks like the Canucks never did regain consciousness and, when asked by doctors if they wanted to continue the game, mouthed a silent "kill me" instead.

Sean, would it be fair to say that John Tortorella isn't the right coach for this team?

I love Torts, and I think he's a great coach... but if he doesn't have the pieces he needs to make his system work, it's just not going to work out.

We know the Canucks are talented. They were annual dance partners for the Cup contenders. So what happened this year? Is it just that the personnel and the coach don't mix?

If you're going to make changes you start at the top. Gillis managed to buy himself a year by axing a former Jack Adams winner in AV and bringing in Torts. Since then, the team hasn't improved.

I think the fault is more on the GM constructing this team than the coach. Let's consider a few things.

First, this is an interesting article about a team other than the Canucks, but is very valid to the Canucks. The article is below:

http://www.thepensblog.com/2014-archives/march/shero-draft-piece.html

Here's the bit that is more relevant to the Canucks:

1. When considering forwards who have been ((a)drafted since 2006 (b) drafted outside the first round, to prevent teams who drafted superhigh from looking superamazing by skewing the numbers), the Canucks have a grand total of one player who has made the NHL, Sergei Shirokov, and he only played 8 NHL games before leaving the league.

2. That player isn't even our property anymore. Even if you expand that to first round picks, the two who have the best production numbers are Cody Hodgson and Michael Grabner, neither of which are Canucks property. The others are Jordan Schroeder and Niklas Jensen (he of 3 career games).

While Gillis became GM in 2008, he was still responsible for the staff and systems in place for developing those 2006 draft picks. And, since 2006, the team has failed to develop both secondary and, for that matter, primary forward options. And when they do, they trade them.

So the drafting and develop of the Canucks has been an issue. Let's classify the core of the Canucks team, as far as forwards go, as The Sedin Twins, Alex Burrows, and Ryan Kesler, and analyze that group.

In 2008, The Sedins put up 82 points each. Ryan Kesler added 59 points and Alex Burrows 51.

In 2009, Henrik won the Art Ross with 112 points, Daniel had 85, Kesler 75, Burrows 67.

In 2010, Daniel won the Art Ross with 104 points, Henrik had 94, Kesler 73. Burrows 48.

In 2011, Henrik had 81 points, Daniel 67, Kesler 49 points, Burrows 52.

In 2012, Henrik had 45 points, Daniel 40, Kesler 13, Burrows 24. In 48 games that isn't so bad.

What can we take away from those numbers?

Is it true that when Daniel and Henrik are good, it opens up room for Kesler and Burrows? Or is it true that when Burrows and Kesler are on, it takes the pressure off the Sedin Twins? The answer is, both could be true but it doesn't particularly matter which one is true, the link between top production by the Sedins and top production by the secondary scorers is there.

It is also notable that the first year Kesler had injury issues, 2011, and missed big chunks of time, the Sedins point totals dropped. This year, with Kesler, Burrows, and the Sedins all playing through injury, the point production amongst the top two lines is down. As a result, overall scoring is down, because the team doesn't have secondary options.

If your top option is good it opens up secondary options such as Kesler and Burrows, but when your top options are struggling it allows other teams to key off of them and focus more on said options. When the secondary options are struggling you can just grind down on the top line and the other team can't do anything.

So the depth at forward is the big issue. And that falls on one guy. And that one guy should take the fall.

Is the Torts System working? It fucking seemed like it in December when they went 10-1-2. Do you turn around and fire the guy who delivered your best month in history? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, Torts probably gets fired, but I imagine he gets fired after the new GM comes in. Gillis, though, has run out of rope.

I've never denied the part Burke played in building this team, so I dunno who you are provoking. :P

Leafs fans :P

Not that i'm trying to provoke them, but whenever I mention the leafs something batshit crazy happens...so i'm worried that anything that I say will be interpreted as being meant in the most mean-spirited way possible.

Oh yeah Leafs fans, at least they can console themselves with their playoff spot. I'm stuck just crying myself to sleep.

Brian Burke built the Canucks. Dave Nonis took over. Mike Gillis has just seemed to be riding the fruits of their labour.

Brian Burke built the Leafs. Dave Nonis took over... I guess when Gillis gets fired he can go to Toronto.

Brian Burke is with the Flames now... Nonis will be out of a job when Gillis goes to Toronto... then... when Gillis fucks up the Leafs, he can come to Calgary.

We are in a time loop!

I dunno, in that scenario it would imply the Flames could become good. let's not get too unrealistic here.

• Like 4

I don't want to provoke something here, but are not the Leafs and Canucks' playoff successes in no small part the product of the players of the same GM that is no longer with either franchise?

Burke made the Leafs a playoff team, there is no fighting or denying it. And I love him for it.

I don't want to provoke something here, but are not the Leafs and Canucks' playoff successes in no small part the product of the players of the same GM that is no longer with either franchise?

Burke made the Leafs a playoff team, there is no fighting or denying it. And I love him for it.

Yeah, but that silly hair he has ruins it.

• Like 1