2014 FIFA World Cup

Starvinho

Its ridiculous that we spent a fortune on goal line technology that addresses a very rare situation, and for some reason haven't looked into magic spray to address an annoyance that's in every single game and refs fail miserably to deal with.

Goals are a massive part of the game though, a wrongly given goal could cost a team the game or a manager his job or millions in prize money. Nicking a few yards on a free-kick is just one team trying to get an advantage over the other, that kind of stuff happens all over the pitch, whether it be inching forward in the wall, blocking off, pulling shirts, etc. FIFA need to be careful with decisions like this because how far will it go? We could end up with a non-contact sport if people want every little rule followed by the book. That said, I'm not against this spray thing, if it helps the refs then good, but to try and compare it to goal-line technology is madness. One is needed, the other is a bit of a novelty.

Goals are a massive part of the game though, a wrongly given goal could cost a team the game or a manager his job or millions in prize money. Nicking a few yards on a free-kick is just one team trying to get an advantage over the other, that kind of stuff happens all over the pitch, whether it be inching forward in the wall, blocking off, pulling shirts, etc. FIFA need to be careful with decisions like this because how far will it go? We could end up with a non-contact sport if people want every little rule followed by the book. That said, I'm not against this spray thing, if it helps the refs then good, but to try and compare it to goal-line technology is madness. One is needed, the other is a bit of a novelty.

To be honest, I still see goal line tech as a novelty just due to how often it would be used (I know they keep highlighting occasions this season, but forget to mention that refs did actually get a lot of those right previously), easy wins like the spray should always be taken. You don't notice it as much in tv games as you're usually still seeing replays, but at a match few things are more irritating than refs being unable to control players, anything that can help them do that is welcome in my book.

Not sure how that sends us down the slippery slope to non contact football though. :/

• Like 1

I'd agree if it seemed to balance out but I can only once remember a bad goal line decision going in favour of the team I wanted to win.... That was when Casper Ankergren saved the ball about a yard behind the line and neither the referee or lino gave it. I was stood at the far end of the ground and could see it was over the line