2014 FIFA World Cup

Starvinho

GoGo basically said what I wanted to say.

Don't go away for 4 years everyone, stick with us. There's plenty to follow, the drama is unending, and there's an incredible generation of young American players coming up through the ranks. My brother and I have been on this train since the 1994 World Cup and it's not stopping anytime soon.

But almost as important as any trophy was finally, and forever, ending the perception of the US as a joke. At least until audio clips of Gus Johnson calling 2018 World Cup matches circulate. "AND IT'S A GOAL FOR CHRISTIAN ROLANDO!"

Also Rafa gets it. Klinsmann's biggest roster selection failure was that he didn't bring a second target forward and instead brought both Wondo and Johansson. If only Eddie Johnson hadn't imploded.

Ahahaha Gus Johnson commentates on football? That must be terrible. I have to look it up.

Nobody outside of maybe Gus Johnson and the people paying him fuckloads of money at Fox think it's a good idea. Sometimes you just don't get a sport. They've had him do matches that they've broadcasted and he constantly messes up names, builds drama at the wrong points, and often doesn't get how positioning and such works. Now they've had him do these matches so he can be ready for the 2018 World Cup but he's shown no progress. I think probably never watching a match before he was thrown into this gig at Fox is the reason, he just isn't a fan of the sport and so it's impossible for him to properly call it. Like sending a baseball announcer and having him do basketball.

I'm not a huge Gus Johnson fan at all, but at least with NFL games his style fit. Something with momentum and fluidity? His act of RAISING HIS VOICE every FEW SECONDS for what often is AN INSIGNIFICANT PLAY isn't gonna cut it. And his catchphrases? To quote Gus himself, oh my goodness...

Ahahaha Gus Johnson commentates on football? That must be terrible. I have to look it up.

Nobody outside of maybe Gus Johnson and the people paying him fuckloads of money at Fox think it's a good idea. Sometimes you just don't get a sport. They've had him do matches that they've broadcasted and he constantly messes up names, builds drama at the wrong points, and often doesn't get how positioning and such works. Now they've had him do these matches so he can be ready for the 2018 World Cup but he's shown no progress. I think probably never watching a match before he was thrown into this gig at Fox is the reason, he just isn't a fan of the sport and so it's impossible for him to properly call it. Like sending a baseball announcer and having him do basketball.

I'm not a huge Gus Johnson fan at all, but at least with NFL games his style fit. Something with momentum and fluidity? His act of RAISING HIS VOICE every FEW SECONDS for what often is AN INSIGNIFICANT PLAY isn't gonna cut it. And his catchphrases? To quote Gus himself, oh my goodness...

Gus Johnson is the worst. When he used to commentate for MMA, I honestly was pining for Mike Goldberg instead. He's turrible.

I'm not a huge Gus Johnson fan at all, but at least with NFL games his style fit. Something with momentum and fluidity? His act of RAISING HIS VOICE every FEW SECONDS for what often is AN INSIGNIFICANT PLAY isn't gonna cut it.

He actually did a lot of radio calls for the Earthquakes, and called a Sounders game while Ross Fletcher was off covering the 2012 Olympics for the BBC.

I think he watches and enjoys the sport but he has no clue how to call it. During the CL final this year he was alternating between robotically reciting facts about players and then the shouting.

To be fair, it seems kind of hard to be good at football commentating. There are very few commentators I actually like.

Gus Johnson was horrible whenever I've heard him, though, so I'm associating him with being pretty freaking terrible in general :P

Edited by Benkid
  • Like 1

I think Yedlin could definitely secure himself a move based on that performance. And, before tonight, I'd seen Spurs linked with 5 mil move for Julian Green. Nice movement for the goal (which was mis hit, but hey). Is he actually any good?

America should be proud. Played well throughout the World Cup and this could be the kickstart of the sport growing even bigger over there. That combined with more big name players goin over to the MLS and more teams entering the league should help keep the interest sustained.

Wish we had a manager like Klinsmann though instead of Roy. Knew how to get the best out of the players and built a team. Not just a group of individuals.

The USA team definitely have a lot to be proud of, they put in a great performance and appear to have won over a lot of people who weren't expecting much for them. Personally, I'm now more interested in watching the MLS and seeing how that has developed since I've not seen it for about 10 years.

Now, to decide how to pick an American team to follow :unsure: .