The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

More footballers should be like Paul Pogba, not having a boot deal and wearing whatever takes his fancy

Paul-Pogba-Training-Predator-Accelerator

1998 World Cup Predator remakes!

Modern Adidas boots look wank and Predators peaked in 2002 and have gone downhill since in design.

Nike's boots are OK nowadays, a bit too colourful but they always release blackout versions of their boots.

• Like 1

Apparently Luke Shaw has never heard of Tony Adams.

In an interview with The Sun, Lampard explains how a World Cup conversation with Man United full-back convinced him that he was too far removed from the new and upcoming generation.

‘I was having a chat with Luke Shaw and I mentioned Tony Adams and he didn’t seem to know who I was talking about,’ Lampard, who retired from international football last month,

‘I said: “Are you winding me up?” And he said: “Who did he play for?” I knew then then it was time to retire.’

James-Franco-Confused-Look1.gif

I don't know how you manage to have a career in football and somehow not know of Tony Adams even by accident to be honest. I just asked my mum if she'd heard of him and she said "errr, did he used to play for Arsenal? Looks a little bit like Jimmy Nail?". Particularly strange given that Shaw has been with Southampton since 2003 when he was 8 and just 5 years ago Tony Adams was managing Portsmouth, their main rivals.

Between that and the 2010 World Cup apparently being the first World Cup he can remember I reckon he's just a bit simple.

You're forgetting that the football on TV situation in the UK has been absolutely shit for more than 20 years if you don't have Sky Sports, so it's likely that he might have enjoyed football but couldn't really watch many matches apart from Champions League and the odd FA Cup match.

Edited by peteypirahna

Tony Adams played his last game for Arsenal (May 2002) when Luke Shaw was 6 years old. I would describe my knowledge of footballers who finished their careers around the same time in my life (which just happens to be exactly 10 years earlier) as...well, 'sketchy'. Particularly for teams I don't support.

Either you look these things up or you don't. I can't really blame him for not inherently knowing stuff.

• Like 3

I saw a few retweets from over-reacting Arsenal fans on Twitter. I wonder does Tony Adams know who the captain of, say, Southampton was when he was 6?

It sounds stupid, but the guy is 19 years old so if he'd started watching football when he was 8 years old he'd have never seen an Arsenal match with Tony Adams.

Na, it is stupid. I think if you want to have a career in something, you need to know what's gone before you. Hitchock directed his last film in '76, doesn't stop me knowing a lot about him. I think it's silly that a young English defender doesn't know who Tony Adams is.

• Like 1

It sounds stupid, but the guy is 19 years old so if he'd started watching football when he was 8 years old he'd have never seen an Arsenal match with Tony Adams.

Na, it is stupid. I think if you want to have a career in something, you need to know what's gone before you. Hitchock directed his last film in '76, doesn't stop me knowing a lot about him. I think it's silly that a young English defender doesn't know who Tony Adams is.

He does know what's gone before him. He's read both Graeme Le Saux and Ashley Cole's autobiographies.