The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

Terry is one of the best defenders to play in the League, sure. He's not easily the best and there's an argument to be made that players like Jaap Stam or Nemanja Vidic were better, despite Terry's longevity compared to the two.

Hell, that's not even taking into account full backs who despite being defenders, don't usually get included in conversations about the best defenders.

Calling Terry 'easily the best defender to ever play in the Premier League' is bordering on the delusional.

'Delusional' would imply that it's not even close. Like, there are a dozen better.

Go on then.

Radebe

Stam

Adams

Bruce

Kompany

Ferdinand

Vidic

Pallister

Hyypia

Carragher

Keown

Campbell

And that's just centre halves. Although I should be clear, I'm just being a dick here, I'd probably say that Terry is better than a fair few of them and it's not the most outrageous claim in the world to say he's the best. But there's a dozen you could probably make an argument for if you really wanted. Woodgate and King too if we're talking solely about how good they are and not taken the fact they were made of glass into account.

Edit: I feel a little sick for including so many filthy red players in there :lol:

• Like 2

The majority of that list is questionable. I don't think you could put Carragher in the same breath as Terry to be honest and Radebe was good but that's definitely biased.

I think Terry wins it comfortably personally. His positioning is and his reading of the game is at a whole other level and he's been brilliant his whole career, right up to now at nearly 35.

Radebe was good but that's definitely biased.

I honestly don't think so, possibly biased in that I remember him strongly compared to your average football fan but he really was that bloody good before his injuries. Fergie tried to sign him for 2 or 3 years straight at his best, he was actually very similar to Terry, brilliant at reading the game and always willing to put his body on the line.

And like I said, that list was more of a list of people you could make an argument for rather than people I would make an argument for. Terry is almost certainly in the top 5, probably not my number one but it also isn't absurd to make that claim.

In my mind the only Chelsea defender worth considering for anything is Frank LeBoeuf - he took penalties.

• Admin
I don't know if I've ever told the story here but a friend of mine (who isn't a football fan at all) meet Pearson when he was Hull (I think) boss and he openly admitted he didn't give a fuck about any team that he managed as long as he got paid. Not being a football fan, my friend admired his honesty and he couldn't understand why I thought that made him a massive cunt. Compare that to Brian McDermott who went out of his way to embrace the club and the fans when he was with us and it's easy to see why one is one of the most likeable men in football (despite being the boss of dirty Leeds scum for a good while) and one is pretty much universally disliked (albeit reasonably respected).

He's made himself look like a right knob last night with his shitty strawman argument.

All he had to say was something along the lines of 'Yeah, we've had some criticism this season but we've put a good run together lately, got ourselves out of the relegation zone and given ourselves a decent chance of staying up' instead of some ludicrous version of 'U WOT M8?'.

• Like 3

I saw a journalist say he hopes Leicester get relegated now because of Pearson's arrogance. Shame that there's people out there that think a team that's worked that hard to stay in the league shouldn't be here because their manager is a twat, especially when Sunderland and Newcastle look like they couldn't care less.

• Like 1