The Capital One Cup thread 2014/15

Lineker

It does change something.

At 0-0, a Liverpool goal would have meant they were in the final.

At 1-0 to Chelsea, a Liverpool goal would only mean penalties.

Am I missing something or is that not how football normally works? If you score when you're drawing you win. If you score when you're behind then you draw?

I think I'm missing something.

It does change something.

At 0-0, a Liverpool goal would have meant they were in the final.

At 1-0 to Chelsea, a Liverpool goal would only mean penalties.

Am I missing something or is that not how football normally works? If you score when you're drawing you win. If you score when you're behind then you draw?

I think I'm missing something.

I believe they were having a go at Nerf's "It doesn't change anything". If Nerf's eyes, they needed to score a goal regardless - Chelsea were going through on away goals so Liverpool had to score to change that.

Chelsea going 1-0 up in extra time didn't change the minimum number of goals Liverpool needed (a single goal would have sent the game to penalties).

MJB and the other were trying to say that it did change things, as it meant Liverpool's (none existent) goal had a different value to it (from Chelsea's perspective at least).

I don't see what was confusing - before the Ivanovic goal (0-0) a Liverpool goal would have sent them through on Agg. Once Ivanovic had scored, the situation had changed because a Liverpool goal would have seen the match finish 1-1 just like the first leg, taking it to pens.

As for tonight, hoping Spurs win so that it's a competitive final.

Again all I am seeing here is if they drew it would go to penalties and if Liverpool won they would go through? I'm pretty sure that is how football has always worked. Or would Liverpool have gone through at 0-0?

I remain forever annoyed that Sergio Aguero was never charged for that two-footed stamp on Luiz in the FA Cup semi final.

Or that Wayne Rooney was never charged for that elbow on James McCarthy whenever that was.

Or that Martin Skrtel is ever allowed to remain on a football pitch all the way to the final whistle.

But meh. Seems the FA can be swift and decisive when they want to.