The Capital One Cup thread 2014/15

Lineker

I remain forever annoyed that Sergio Aguero was never charged for that two-footed stamp on Luiz in the FA Cup semi final.

Or that Wayne Rooney was never charged for that elbow on James McCarthy whenever that was.

Or that Martin Skrtel is ever allowed to remain on a football pitch all the way to the final whistle.

But meh. Seems the FA can be swift and decisive when they want to.

I'd be grateful he is getting away with one of them instead of looking at it as getting a ban, really he's escaped one.

The word 'campaign' implies some sort of central co-ordination. I just think that in the media's need for narratives and/or soap opera, Chelsea The Enemy Of Football is one they particularly enjoy reveling in. This doesn't mean that there's anything more sinister to it than when they paint others as Lovable Underdogs or any other character. It's just a role in a story. Words like 'campaign' or 'conspiracy' are a massive overstatement.

Except when it's Niall Quinn, of course. But there's a different 'c' word for him.

I'd be grateful he is getting away with one of them instead of looking at it as getting a ban, really he's escaped one.

Naturally I am grateful, in the context of Chelsea's season, for a ban that might be shorter than it could have been. Grumbling about the inconsistency in Everything The FA Does isn't really related though. If the rules were uber-strict but consistently applied, then I would feel maginally better (even though I would be worrying about our upcoming games in turn).

Man it must be terrible to support a big club and get all the refereeing decisions against you.

That said I've finally seen the 'stamps', the one on Skrtel certainly isn't and I'm not convinced the Can one is particularly bad.

Edited by Ultra Rare Colly
  • Like 1

Bah, Spurs have got this. We just haven't got enough options at the business end of the pitch. Ah well. :-/

Commentators still get excited over Kane when he makes bad decisions or bad shots. It's always "worth a try", or "he must have seen the keeper of his line", or "close from Kane". English bias never ceases to amaze me. I understand it, because we're in England, but still...

• Like 2

I'm not at all surprised that Sheffield United are winning this now. To be fair I was expecting them to score a couple in the first 20 minutes tonight and Spurs have to fight back. Instead it's the other way around. Now we have to score or survive extra time. Blah.

18-year-old sub scores 2 in 3 minutes? Crazy.

I quite like Spurs but we all must want him to get his hattrick now, surely?

How much do you reckon he will be valued at tomorrow in the papers as 'Premier League clubs EYE Blades CUP HERO transfer window DEADLINE DAY SWOOP'.

£15m?

• Like 1

Well done Spurs, and good luck against Chelsea in the final.

Can we now start playing Flynn as a winger again now?