Champions League 2014/15

DFF

Not that I agree with Suarez being all Liverpool had but he never had a season like he did last year, with Liverpool. I think the combination of Suarez being ridiculously good, Sterling and Henderson's emergence and Sturridge making good on the 20 goals prophecy, combined into a perfect storm of a season

Right, but who coached that out of Suarez? Rodgers.

Who plays Glen Johnson at left back despite having a more than capable and impressive Moreno along with competent second choice Enrique sitting on the bench/sidelines? Who continues to play Lovren despite him being outplayed by a 33 year old Toure whenever he plays? Who continues to play Gerrard in a holding midfield position despite games passing him by week in and week out whilst having Joe Allen play in an advanced midfield role? Who continued to play Balotelli despite him adding zero to the team effort and taking the piss with his work rate?

• Like 1

Not that I agree with Suarez being all Liverpool had but he never had a season like he did last year, with Liverpool. I think the combination of Suarez being ridiculously good, Sterling and Henderson's emergence and Sturridge making good on the 20 goals prophecy, combined into a perfect storm of a season

Who plays Glen Johnson at left back despite having a more than capable and impressive Moreno along with competent second choice Enrique sitting on the bench/sidelines? Who continues to play Lovren despite him being outplayed by a 33 year old Toure whenever he plays? Who continues to play Gerrard in a holding midfield position despite games passing him by week in and week out whilst having Joe Allen play in an advanced midfield role? Who continued to play Balotelli despite him adding zero to the team effort and taking the piss with his work rate?

Wild guess, Rodgers?

Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down? Who keeps Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps? Who holds back the elctric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star? Who robs cavefish of their site? Who rigs every Oscar night?

• Like 3

Glen Johnson has played left back TWICE this season. Last night and last weekend. Though I agree, he needs to fuck off and die. Lovren has been extremely poor, but how much of that is down to not having a competent partner, no midfield protect, and an unconvincing goalkeeper is debatable. Toure has not outperformed him other than in one game. Completely agree with you on Gerrard, even though he was deployed as a No. 10 last night. Allen isn't played as an "advanced midfielder," he's played in his preferred position, as a ball winning midfielder, and he's damn good at his job. Not sure how Balotelli is "taking the piss" with his workrate when he's averaging the same ground covered as Luis Suarez last season.

FACTS /rafa

Except that these people are briefed by higher ups within the club, so they kind of do.

You're the Cornette_Face of Liverpool.

• Like 1

Mario always looks a much better player with space, why Rodgers hasn't tried playing him and Lambert up front i don't know because Lambert is great at drawing in centre halves. Balotelli is useless up front on his own.

But Spurs were all Bale, right? And that had nothing to do with AVB? You're literally doing a Spurs of last season, except we were doing better.

For what it's worth, if I were Liverpool, id want to keep Rogers like I wanted us to keep AVB. Makes no sense to change, give him time with the players he wanted.

• Like 3

Glen Johnson has played left back TWICE this season. Last night and last weekend. Though I agree, he needs to fuck off and die. Lovren has been extremely poor, but how much of that is down to not having a competent partner, no midfield protect, and an unconvincing goalkeeper is debatable. Toure has not outperformed him other than in one game. Completely agree with you on Gerrard, even though he was deployed as a No. 10 last night. Allen isn't played as an "advanced midfielder," he's played in his preferred position, as a ball winning midfielder, and he's damn good at his job. Not sure how Balotelli is "taking the piss" with his workrate when he's averaging the same ground covered as Luis Suarez last season.

FACTS /rafa

These are all massive Rodgers faults, though. Not having a competent partner - he bought Sakho for £20million and he isn't competent, and then keeps Skrtel as an automatic pick despite him being part of a defence that shipped 50 goals last season (the only team that conceded more than that in the top 10 was Spurs with 51). He refuses to even entertain the idea of dropping Gerrard, or even resting him, when it's clear he's struggling in the defensive midfield position and shouldn't be playing 90 minutes every single game. Benitez used to rotate him semi-regularly and that was when he was in his absolute peak, not at age 34 and with his confidence crushed. It's not like there aren't options to put in his place. And then the unconvincing keeper is another Rodgers buy, who will play every game because he hasn't bothered to buy a capable backup.

I don't think he'll be sacked bar a disastrous result against Basel and a big slide down the table around January time. But he does need to show a bit of flexibility and make some strong decisions. The worst thing that can happen to a manager like Rodgers is having the players lose confidence because that is what the whole of last season was built on. Making the same mistakes over and over, and then coming out with ridiculous sound bites about "the great characterisation of the group" after conceding a poor equaliser against a Bulgarian side playing 200 miles away from their home stadium is precisely what makes players lose confidence in a manager.

FACTS /rafa

These are all massive Rodgers faults, though. Not having a competent partner - he bought Sakho for £20million and he isn't competent, and then keeps Skrtel as an automatic pick despite him being part of a defence that shipped 50 goals last season (the only team that conceded more than that in the top 10 was Spurs with 51). He refuses to even entertain the idea of dropping Gerrard, or even resting him, when it's clear he's struggling in the defensive midfield position and shouldn't be playing 90 minutes every single game. Benitez used to rotate him semi-regularly and that was when he was in his absolute peak, not at age 34 and with his confidence crushed. It's not like there aren't options to put in his place. And then the unconvincing keeper is another Rodgers buy, who will play every game because he hasn't bothered to buy a capable backup.

I don't think he'll be sacked bar a disastrous result against Basel and a big slide down the table around January time. But he does need to show a bit of flexibility and make some strong decisions. The worst thing that can happen to a manager like Rodgers is having the players lose confidence because that is what the whole of last season was built on. Making the same mistakes over and over, and then coming out with ridiculous sound bites about "the great characterisation of the group" after conceding a poor equaliser against a Bulgarian side playing 200 miles away from their home stadium is precisely what makes players lose confidence in a manager.

I agree with everything you just said, except regarding Sakho.

Rodgers has his faults, most of which have been outlined here and I've actually written about for another site, but he's not getting the sack anytime soon.

Rodgers is a great coach. He's currently going through his biggest test as a manager. He's been seen to change stuff before so I don't know what the problem is this season. Except extra games and more injuries.

I would hate to see him go personally.

Rodgers is a great coach. He's currently going through his biggest test as a manager. He's been seen to change stuff before so I don't know what the problem is this season. Except extra games and more injuries.

He's a great coach and you would hate to see him go, right?

• Like 2