Summer Transfer Window Thread 2015

Rich

With the fees I've seen thrown about, it seems a very real possibility that United sell De Gea for a loss. Which is hilariously stupid given how good he's become and how young he still!

If he's only got a year left on his contract and he doesn't appear to be interested in signing an extension, age and ability are non-factors.

Bertrand Traore has finally been granted a work permit. :w00t:

After 18 months on loan at Vitesse Arnhem, the 19 year old has now played the requisite number of games for the Burkina Faso national team (at least 75% of all fixtures over the last two years) to qualify under the current English WP regulations.

Hope he's in the Chelsea squad next season. Lord knows he would surely blitz Cuadrado out of contention for the RW position as things stand (plus he plays just as well, if not better, as a central striker).

• Like 1

If we focus on the "top 6" leagues in Europe based on current UEFA coefficient:

Spain

Barcelona | Real Madrid | Atletico Madrid

Atletico Madrid | Barcelona | Real Madrid

Barcelona | Real Madrid | Atletico Madrid

Real Madrid | Barcelona | Valencia

Barcelona | Real Madrid | Valencia

Different number of winners = 3, Different number of runners-up = 3, Different number of third placed = 3

Total number of different teams to finish in top 3 over the last 5 seasons: 4

England

Chelsea | Manchester City | Arsenal

Manchester City | Liverpool | Chelsea

Manchester United | Manchester City | Chelsea

Manchester City | Manchester United | Arsenal

Manchester United | Chelsea | Manchester City

Different number of winners = 3, Different number of runners-up = 4, Different number of third placed = 3

Total number of different teams to finish in top 3 over the last 5 seasons: 5

Germany

Bayern Munich | Wolfsburg | Borussia Mönchengladbach

Bayern Munich | Borussia Dortmund | Schalke 04

Bayern Munich | Borussia Dortmund | Bayer Leverkusen

Borussia Dortmund | Bayern Munich | Schalke 04

Borussia Dortmund | Bayer Leverkusen | Bayern Munich

Different number of winners = 2, Different number of runners-up = 3, Different number of third placed = 4

Total number of different teams to finish in top 3 over the last 5 seasons: 6

Italy

Juventus | Roma | Lazio

Juventus | Roma | Napoli

Juventus | Napoli | AC Milan

Juventus | AC Milan | Udinese

AC Milan | Inter Milan | Napoli

Different number of winners = 2, Different number of runners-up = 4, Different number of third placed = 4

Total number of different teams to finish in top 3 over the last 5 seasons: 7

Portugal

Benfica | Porto | Sporting CP

Benfica | Sporting CP | Porto

Porto | Benfica | Pacos de Ferreira

Porto | Benfica | Braga

Porto | Benfica | Sporting CP

Different number of winners = 2, Different number of runners-up = 3, Different number of third placed = 4

Total number of different teams to finish in top 3 over the last 5 seasons: 5

France

PSG | Lyon | Monaco

PSG | Monaco | Lille

PSG | Marseille | Lyon

Montpellier | PSG | Lille

Lille | Marseille | Lyon

Different number of winners = 3, Different number of runners-up = 4, Different number of third placed = 3

Total number of different teams to finish in top 3 over the last 5 seasons: 6

The Spanish league is the most "boring" with only 4 teams breaking into the top 3 over the last 5 years, ignoring 1 season the top has been a Real/Barca lockup. Surprisingly England hasn't had the same 1/2 (in order) in the last 5 years, the French league is the only other league to do this.

Germany, Italy, Porgual and France have all had teams win the title 3 years in a row during the past 5 years, Juventus have won the title 4 years in a row in Italy and don't look like stopping that run next year.

All leagues are pretty similar though, if you want a league where you know who is going to win but the other 2 places are a lottery then Italy, France and Germany are great for that, If you want a real 2 horse race then Spain and Portugal are the best. I'd say England is the most "well rounded" league in the top 6, no real one-team domination and the top 3 places change plenty.

It just demonstrates how pathetically dull club football is. It's just depressing that only about three or four of the teams that enter each of these competitions actually aim to win it. I don't understand how people continue to fool themselves that the "race" for 4th place is exciting. All I know is that as long as they do, this sorry state of affairs will continue.

The most exciting thing about sport is its unpredictability and competitiveness. The big clubs have Europe have conspired to extinguish any chance of that.

• Like 2

Setting aside the obvious club benefit (£££), from fans' perspective I understand the prize of finishing 4th if the team then make the most out of throwing themselves into European competition the following season. When Chelsea finished 3rd in 1999 and went on to come within 10 minutes of the CL semi finals, it was amazing. Even if you don't get very far in the tournament itself, it can still produce some special experiences - e.g. Spurs' games against Inter Milan in 2010, off the top of my head - and therefore the sort of thing that can make a Top Four finish worth striving for.

But if the club act like European qualification is an achievement and then put out weakened teams in the 'tough' games, then no. Just no.

I don't really get why the Euro games are played across the domestic season, I'd think they'd be better playing domestic football all season, and then make European competitions a post-season/summer thing like the World Cup. Probably reasons that doesn't happen and just me liking the idea though.

• Like 1

I agree on the 4th thing. You're finishing 4th... what's so great about that? The CL would mean so much more if it was only the champions who entered the competition. I know that will never happen though.

Yeah, basically what Stok said. You get entry into the CL, which is brilliant. Bale's hatrick against Inter, beating Inter at WHL, beating AC Milan over two legs. They were fantastic experiences, and something that only came about because of finishing 4th. We've only been in the CL once, it was a pretty special time, so yeah finishing 4th next year would 100% be great and well worth celebrating.

• Admin
France midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia is set to join Inter Milan from Monaco. The 22-year-old France international will have a medical in Milan on Monday after the two clubs agreed a fee, reported to be 35m euros (£25m). Kondogbia, who has been linked with several clubs, including Manchester City and Arsenal, is thought to have agreed a five-year deal with Inter.

Watford have had a club-record bid of about £7m accepted by Genoa for Argentina winger Diego Perotti.

Yeah it's obviously an achievement qualifying for the premier European football competition but if you're not going to try when you get there because you want to make sure you qualify again.

I still think that UEFA should allow nations to have CL places in their cup competitions. Top 2 sides and FA Cup winners get auto places. League cup winners get the qualifying place. In the event teams have already qualified then give it to the runners up or failing that then add it to third and fourth in the league.

Sure you'll get the odd year where a Wigan qualifies but for the most part teams will take the cups more seriously and suddenly the top sides don't necessarily have that complacency of knowing that they'll finish top 4 and that'll do.

• Admin

Tomorrow I am going to write down every club in the Prem league and whatever name I draw out of a hat will get my support!

Unless it's Man U. Then I'll draw again.

You should extend the possibilities to Championship clubs likely to be in the running to come and/or with big stadiums and fanbases: so like Derby, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday etc.

Tomorrow I am going to write down every club in the Prem league and whatever name I draw out of a hat will get my support!

Unless it's Man U. Then I'll draw again.

You should extend the possibilities to Championship clubs likely to be in the running to come and/or with big stadiums and fanbases: so like Derby, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday etc.

I was actually just talking to Niner about this. We get absolutely no Championship matches on TV over here. So while they may be moving up in a year or two, it doesn't really help my ability to follow them, at least on television, this season.

Plus "Fuck Leeds" right? >_>