The Capital One Cup thread 2015/16

Lineker

Gutted about the result, but in no way embarrassed. We are a Championship side with a League One budget, and we took on a side with three former Man City players, who spent roughly £50million this summer. The boys did us proud tonight, just a shame we didn't have that quality in the final third tonight. 1-0 was probably a fair result, but could've quite easily been the other way around.

You are a braver man than me. Not that I could've got one anyway, 2800 was a ridiculous allocation.

Keep going back and forth between being confident we can beat Villa, to being terrified that we will get rolled over. I've not seen the squad Villa are putting out yet, but we are without Cotterill, which is worrying. Plus Toral is on the bench, which I'm less worried about, but I feel like he could've caused problems early on.

Didn't seem to be any trouble, but there was way more police than I've ever seen at a game! I'm pretty sure someone threw a smoke bomb after Villa scored but I'm not 100% sure. 

We didn't play too well in the first half, but it was an even game. Grealish and Ayew coming on gave us movement in the opposition half and we definitely kicked on from there. Goal aside, Gestede was fairly useless, but dude probably goes down as a Villa legend now. 

• Like 1

We really suffered from Donaldson not really having anybody up top with him. Our second half was summed up as 'one too many touches', with the irony of course being that if Maghoma had taken an extra touch, he probably would've buried his one-on-one attempt.

TOTTENHAM XI: Vorm, Trippier, Fazio, Wimmer, Rose, Carroll, Dier, Chadli, Eriksen, Townsend, Kane

TOTTENHAM SUBS: Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Winks, Alli, Clinton, Son

ARSENAL XI: Ospina, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Chambers, Gibbs, Arteta, Flamini, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Campbell, Giroud

ARSENAL SUBS: Macey, Bellerin, Monreal, Ozil, Iwobi, Sanchez, Walcott

This is going to be a mental game. Our central defence and midfield is very meh. Tottenham's defence also looks something similar.

Edited by Alexis Sanchez

Am actually mildly surprised at the (defensive) strength of the team we've put out at Walsall tonight:

Begovic, Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Baba Rahman, Ramires, Mikel, Remy, Loftus-Cheek, Kenedy, Falcao

Subs: Blackman, Djilobodji, Aina, Matic, Traore, Hazard, Pedro

Still no debut for Djollybadger!

Pereira starts for United tonight, hopefully one for the future! United twitter is saying it's his first competitive start. I could have sworn he started the 4-0 defeat against MK Dons. Must have been a sub.

United XI: De Gea, Valencia, Smalling, Blind, Young, Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Mata, Fellaini, Pereira, Rooney

EDIT: Pereira came on at HT in that game apparently.