UEFA Europa League 2015/16

Lineker

To those questioning the word 'building'...

13 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Liverpool deserved to go through over the two legs, we definitely need to continue spending lots of money in the summer, no matter what manager we have.

...Is that more accurate? :shifty: 

43 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Was Dortmund that impressive against Spurs, or was it more a case of Spurs kind of tapping out with the intent of putting all their balls in the "winning the league" basket?

Little bit of both, I reckon.

7 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

If you think we played better under Moyes then I've got a couple of bridges to sell you.

I honestly cannot see the difference, both teams look clueless and have no real defined style. All they know what to do is keep pointless possession that goes nowhere which is what both managers did. I mean this was a game where we needed 3 goals and you've got LVG banging on about how we need to win 2-0 to take it to extra time, that would never have happened under Fergie. I can't wait to see the back of him. 

11 hours ago, Whisper said:

Well Clyne didn't complain.

Says everything.

Also, for someone who looks a complete lumbering oaf, Sakho is really good.

Joey Barton about summed it up perfectly last week:

"Mamadou Sakho is the most unorthodox, efficient, unbalanced, effective defender on the Planet. Watching him is similar to viewing a clown spin plates. You are just waiting for them to smash on the floor. Yet, somehow he keeps it going. Contradicts the laws of motion with every touch. The man is genius. A true one off…"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Meacon said:

Was Dortmund that impressive against Spurs, or was it more a case of Spurs kind of tapping out with the intent of putting all their balls in the "winning the league" basket?

I mean, I guess we won't know cos we were never full strength, but Dortmund were fantastic last night. They press so well in the right areas, they're incredibly compact and they're just lethal going forwards. They completely stopped us playing for the most part, and limited us to playing it round the back. We opened them up once, and Son sadly scuffed his shot wide. They were worthy winners, and I think they'd beat any team in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam said:

I honestly cannot see the difference, both teams look clueless and have no real defined style. All they know what to do is keep pointless possession that goes nowhere which is what both managers did. I mean this was a game where we needed 3 goals and you've got LVG banging on about how we need to win 2-0 to take it to extra time, that would never have happened under Fergie. I can't wait to see the back of him. 

One thing that bugs me about LVG  (and I've clocked this for months) is how he'll almost always be pictured making a note after we've created a chance, as if to back himself up in the post match conference when things go wrong. Last nights was no different, citing our missed chances as reasons for not getting the goals we needed. Fact is, a were pathetic at Anfield and lucky to only be two behind, and last night, Liverpool could have easily scored four or five themselves.

I feel we have a better chance going into big games under LVG than when Moyes was in charge, but that certainly doesn't translate to the games we should be winning and frankly, that's what has cost us. Too much fucking about with it to keep the possession stats up, while Leicester have one of the lowest total possession in all of the league and they're leading it.

He does need to go ASAP. He's too set in his ways to adapt to what's needed in the league, and any good performance is soon followed by a terrible one.

• Admin

To the surprise of precisely no-one, Manchester United and Liverpool have been charged by Uefa following disturbances at Thursday night’s Europa League game at Old Trafford. United have been charged over crowd disturbances, the throwing of objects and stairways being blocked. Liverpool have been charged over illicit chants, setting off fireworks, throwing of objects, crowd disturbances and arriving late for kick-off.