The Daredevil Thread **SPOILERS**

Benji

Spoiler

I felt it was weaker than season one. Individual episodes/moments were better (and worse, seriously, episode five was the show's worst episode by a large margin for me), but season two felt far more disjointed, like they were trying to fit a load of puzzle pieces together that never quite clicked.

• Like 1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Benji said:
  Hide contents

I felt it was weaker than season one. Individual episodes/moments were better (and worse, seriously, episode five was the show's worst episode by a large margin for me), but season two felt far more disjointed, like they were trying to fit a load of puzzle pieces together that never quite clicked.

Spoiler

I think that's a symptom of knowing there's gonna be a third. Continuing stuff from s1 and setting up stuff for s3 meant a fews things didn't maybe get enough focus.

That said, I really enjoyed the series. Thought the first four eps dragged a little, with Punisher's talking bits being the highlight.

Thinks really picked up once he went to prison, and I have to say this is my favourite version of Elektra (I don't actually like her in the comics at all). Totally called her fate as soon as I knew the hand were involved, which was confirmed even more when Nobu came back.

I think that's the best story for her going forward though and I'm glad she was very morally ambiguous in this season so next time round it isn't just like 'lol she's evil now' 

S2 E13 spoiler:

Spoiler

Yeah, despite the really poor start (which I can put down to horrid writing, and not her performance), Elodie Yung did a fantastic job as Elektra. I don't want her back regularly, but a few episodes here and there much like Fisk this season would be great.

Also, the scene where Stick just slices off Nobu was fucking hilarious. In fact Stick this entire season was probably my favourite character behind Punisher. The scene where he yells at Matt to get the tea as if he's going to use it to treat Elektra and then just drinks it had me in stitches.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Benji said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Definitely felt like missing DeKnight as the showrunner left it all a bit disjointed. I think the overall story was great, but it wasn't put together very well and didn't flow particularly well. In some ways I think they had two stories in mind, couldn't decide which to run with and got told they couldn't do half over half a season each. You can tell it's the same writers but they maybe didn't have the guiding hand behind them they needed, but the strength of the writing and the performances pulled it through.

I hope they go for 1 story next season and spread it across the whole season. I wasn't really into The Hand stuff, though I enjoyed it well enough and Elektra was pretty good.

More than anything I just want them to run with Kingpin/Bullseye next time rather than delve back into The Hand stuff. Have Elektra show up as a distraction midway through to bridge the gap between set up and pay off for the main story next time, maybe even have her ally with Matt by the end. And if they run with Bullseye, oh man, I have to imagine that means Karen Page ends up dead, which will be heartbreaking as she's been a fantastic piece of the show each season.

I'd also like to see them do The Devil in Cell Block D, a story where Matt is arrested and ends up in prison with Kingpin and other villains. I don't know if they could do that without having a guy like Iron Fist who can pretend to be Daredevil though.

Oh yeah and Punisher... does it even need to be said? Perfect portrayal. It'll be a damn shame if he doesn't get his own show at some point rather than just being a recurring Daredevil character.

Just finished the first season, about to start the second.

Fuck, Marvel are amazing at taking characters I've never really been interested in and making them fucking awesome. First Gotg and now this.

I loved the fight scenes, especially at the end of episode 2. Really awesome stuff. Wilson Fisk is easily one of the best villains in the whole MCU.

• Like 3

If you haven't watched Jessica Jones yet, it has yet another fantastic villain

Might wanna do it before DD s2.  There are some references to JJ in it that you won't pick up

S2E7

Matt and Elektra are really screwing over Foggy and it's making me angry and sad! Also, not enough Punisher. I much preferred the earlier episodes where he was kicking ass instead of Elektra (although she is better now than in her first appearance)

4 hours ago, Benji said:

I only really remember one.

Reveal hidden contents

What were the others?

Spoiler

Claire hints at Luke Cage at one point ... also to Foggy. 

Foggy should get his own show.

There's also the point when someone literally says "Jessica Jones"

Marcy, when she meets with Foggy at the bar and discusses the DA's plans

• Like 1

On 3/19/2016 at 21:21, Lint said:

Been marathoning it all day.  Love how The Punisher has been handled.  A goddamn force of nature

So last week I said this...now what does the AV CLub say in their review of the first episode?

Frank Castle isn’t a man in this episode, but a force of nature, the first phase of the aforementioned storm that will batter Hell’s Kitchen this season.

And from IO9's "Things We Loved About Season 2"

Bernthal’s Punisher is a bloody force of nature—in contrast to the graceful acrobatics of Daredevil and Elektra

16 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I saw that description used in several of the pre-release reviews.

Oh...I didn't.  Welp I'm not psychic...won't even bother with powerball next time