The Daredevil Thread **SPOILERS**

Benji

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 2 spoilers

Spoiler

Genuinely think season 2 blew season 1 out of the water and I'm saying that as someone who loved season 1. The whole Punisher arc was phenomenal and I loved that court room scenes, I loved the relationship between Castle and Karen and the evolution of her character into Ben Ulrich MK II. 

Everything flowed perfectly to me, my only slight grievance would be Punisher's convenient arrival at the end of episode 13. It felt a bit off but it was still an epic moment with him clearing out the Hand to leave Nobu to Daredevil.

• Like 2

Season 2 DEFEATED.

I agree with Benji, I thought season one was better. It felt more coherent and told a better story, and Kingpin is a million times more amazing than Nobu. Murdock felt like a total asshole, at times for no reason. I would have been pissed off if he didn't finally admit to Karen who he was cos damn there were so many times it would have cleared shit up. Foggy also deserves better, damn it.

But I still loved it. The Punisher, fuckin hell, The Punisher. I always loved Thomas Janes portrayal but yeah, Berenthal was amazing. More excited to see a Punisher series than Luke Cage or Iron Fist. The best parts of the series were definitely all around him, but I get why the Hand was the focus more than him. I didn't think I'd like the Daredevil suit more than the black mask outfit but it grows on you.

So yeah. When's season 3 get put up?

• Like 1

Thoughts on the ending of SSN2 and a less popular opinion on something in the first half

The entire second half I was dying for an Elektra/Daredevil/Punisher teamup against The Hand. It would have added so much more gravitas for Daredevil to personally request the help of both cold-blooded assassins/mass murders to drive the ninja organization back. Somewhat glad Punisher showed up to help Daredevil but going from killing his own final boss and seeing a flakjacket to appearing with the skull and big guns to kill ninjas, there might as well have been a "scenes missing" title card. A personal request from Daredevil or just Castle telling Karen Page

his work isn't finished until every piece of scum who deserves to die is put in the ground or he is would have filled in that gap wonderfully and addressed the skull theatrics. As for Nobu not living up to Fisk in terms of big bad, his character had no legs from the start. He was a third-strong end-boss in the first season and pulls the strings mostly off-screen for the majority of this season. Plus with Fisk we had the added bonus of "this is a sympathetic villain who you can understand because we're going to devote the time to show you how he came to be this monster of a man". Nobu was a means to an end for this season. As for the magic sarcophagus they put Elektra into at the very end, I guess they always knew she would die and they would need it to bring her back to life? Or did it originally have a different purpose? I mean, why not just send The Hand to kill her if they've invested all that work on The Farm to bring her back to life, presumably under their control. Hopefully, but doubtfully it'll get addressed in Season 3.

Unrelated to the end, but I'm going to go against the grain. I thought Punisher's graveyard monologue was a little dragged out. It hit me in the feels, but it went on forever. I was very aware "this is a monologue" and it pulled me out of the scene.[/quote]

In regards to season 2 'big bad'

Spoiler

I don't think Nobu was really meant to fit that role, I'm not sure anyone was in this series. I think the only significance to Nobu was that in introduced the whole resurrection aspect. He was the only person who Matt 'killed' in season one, so it made sense in a way.

I fully think that season 3 is going to full on be Evil Elektra leads the hand. Fisk will appear but I don't think he'll make a return as the top bad guy until s4 (or maybe Defenders). I reckon Elektra will be brought back to the light by Matt or die or a combination of both, leaving  Fisk to pick up the pieces.

That's the logical progression I see anyway.    

I just started it this morning, halfway through episode 2. Or just abouts, anyway.

Spoiler

"Barely 12!"

Yikes.

EDIT: Also, Foggy gets some badass moments, doesn't he? I can dig that.

On 13, nearly done with it. Some thoughts before I finish up:

Spoiler

I don't hate the Elektra stuff. It seems to be a divisive issue, but I think it's done well. My only complaint is that Elektra just shows up out of nowhere, but that's also her M.O., so it's not unexpected. I just thought the transition from "Daredevil/Punisher" to "Daredevil/Elektra/sometimes Punisher" could have been smoother, and if this Punisher series has been in the works since before S2, I totally understand why there isn't more Punisher in this season. You can't put all the best Punisher bits in season 2 of Daredevil, because then you're left scraping for ideas come the Punisher Netflix series. 

I'm so glad Foggy gets his own crowning moments of badassery too, especially the opening statement during the trial. Jon Bernthal's been a fantastic Punisher, I think the scene everyone's going to remember - akin to Fisk's "Good Samaritan" speech in Season 1 - is going to be the graveyard monologue. Tremendous work.

Melvin Potter has his Gladiator armor! :w00t:

I'm going to finish the finale now, but before I do: BILLY CLUB :D

EDIT: Done! I really liked this season. You end it with the collapse of Nelson & Murdock, Foggy taking a job with Hogarth's firm, and of course, the Hand recovered Elektra's body and put her in that weird pod they've been toting around all season. Punisher picking off ninjas to help Daredevil was boss as hell, as well as Daredevil's reaction (or non-reaction) to it. And hoooooly shit, I figured Nobu would die, but I didn't think Stick would decapitate him.

• Like 1

In episode 8, Fisk's speech on TV sounds like something straight out of Arrow.

On 4/2/2016 at 02:19, Kirkland said:

In episode 8, Fisk's speech on TV sounds like something straight out of Arrow.

SPOIL TAG THAT!!! 

Holy shit episode 3 was awesome. 

Edited by TGWL
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TGWL said:

SPOIL TAG THAT!!! 

Holy shit episode 3 was awesome. 

It's from last season which has been out long enough for everyone to have had a chance to see it. I stayed out of here till I started watching and I suggest others do the same.

12 hours ago, Kirkland said:

It's from last season which has been out long enough for everyone to have had a chance to see it. I stayed out of here till I started watching and I suggest others do the same.

Then ignore... :)  I'm on S2 ep4. 

Edited by TGWL
To make an edit.

Finished season 2 on Thursday so I could see Jon Bernthal and Elden Henson at my local comic con. First half of the season was great, then it started slipping, then it got great again, and then it slipped more. By the end of it, I was laughing any time ninjas came tiptoeing in unison into frame.

(Jon Bernthal is fucking hilarious, btw. Any time he gets a question, his reaction is to give a really long, in-depth answer with perfect recall of what his character's motivation was at the time and then follow that up by saying "sorry, that was a shitty answer.")

• Like 2

I think I finally figured out the main reason why I can't really get into this show: Charlie Cox. He is soooo bland and apart from the fighting scenes (which are probably done by a double) his performance doesn't captivate me. If he has another strong character to play off of (like the Kingpin or the Punisher) he is okay but if the other character is someone as ill defined and bland as Elektra is in this show it's not fun to watch. Also don't really care about that stupid Yakuza-ninja sub-plot so I was very sad to see that the Punisher takes a back-seat after Episode 4.I made it to episode 6 or 7 until I quit.

Considering The Defenders is filming next year, and s3 of daredevil hasn't beenv announced yet, I think The Hand will be involved in that