Euro 2016

Lineker

26 minutes ago, Ultra Rare Colly said:

I only count 8, which would be one more than the current setup? 5 group, quarter, semi, final versus 3 group, round of 16, quarter, semi, final?

Meh, just give me 16.

Yeah, I miscalculated. I think I thought there was a round of 16, which is difficult when only 8 teams go through >_>

20 minutes ago, MDK said:

All of the European teams in a knock out tourney and scrap qualification. England get a bye to the final.

All of the European teams, one goal, Craig Gordon in nets, knockout doubles. All over in two hours, Scotland actually get some representation, everyone's happy.

• Like 3

• Admin
1 hour ago, MDK said:

All of the European teams in a knock out tourney and scrap qualification. England get a bye to the final.

We would still find a way to fuck it up.

The Italy forward Mario Balotelli has said that he cannot not wait for Euro 2016, prompting his national coach Antonio Conte to ask sarcastically whether the striker would be playing or watching the tournament on television.

Balotelli reacted enthusiastically to Italy’s draw against Belgium, Ireland and Sweden, posting their names on Instagram along with the words “I can’t wait.”

In reply, Conte said: “[He] can’t wait for what … to play in the European championship or to watch on television?”

Balotelli, plagued by fitness and form problems, has been picked only once since Conte took over following Italy’s group stage exit at the World Cup.

“It’s up to him to show he can be included, just as it is with the others,” said Conte. “But he has got so, so much to prove.”

“I haven’t drawn any conclusions so far. I will watch everyone carefully, but I also know who has got us this far, and I know the players. Anyone who wants to come in has got to show me an awful lot.”

:lol: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mad Jack Frost said:

Most competitive is something that is testable. Since the creation of the European Championships in 1960, there has only been 9 different winners (assuming Germany is a continuation of West Germany) from a confederation that has always numbered between 40 and 54 members in that time. Comparatively, 8 different teams have won the Copa America since 1959, this from a confederation of just 10 members, although seven nations from outside the confederation have also competed in the competition, the best result for them being Mexico's two second place finishes in 1993 and 2001 (indeed, from 1993 to 2011 when they crashed out in the group stage, Mexico competed in every Copa in that time, never finishing below the quarter finals).

I mean, you're welcome to your (wrong) opinion, but you expressed it in a cheeky and facetious way. I don't think I feel comfortable being friends with you anymore.

• Like 2

• Admin

England’s game with Wales at Euro 2016 will be shown live on the BBC as part of the 11 group matches shared with ITV involving Roy Hodgson’s side and their Celtic rivals in France next summer.

Wales will tackle England at Stade Bollaert-Delelis in Lens on 16 June, with both teams hopeful of progressing from Group B ahead of Russia and Slovakia.

Northern Ireland’s opening Group C match against Poland in Nice and final group game against world champions Germany at Parc des Princes, Paris, will also form part of the BBC coverage.

ITV will show the opening match of the tournament between hosts France and Romania on 10 June as well as England’s first and final group games against Russia and Slovakia.

The Republic of Ireland’s first Group E fixture against Sweden in Saint-Denis on 13 June will be broadcast by the BBC.

ITV will have first pick of the games in the last 16 as well as the semi-finals, while the BBC has first two picks of the quarter-finals. The final in Paris on 10 July will be live on both channels.

The BBC head of TV sport, Philip Bernie, said: “We are delighted to have the most talked about match of the draw in England v Wales, in such a special year for the home nations, as well as the opening matches for Wales and Northern Ireland on their return to major tournament football.

“The BBC also features the Republic of Ireland’s first game with Sweden and our great picks of subsequent rounds will ensure coverage of the home nations if they progress.”

ITV will also look to make the most of their coverage of the tournament. The director of sport at ITV, Niall Sloane, said: “Euro 2016 promises to be a very special tournament, expanded to 24 teams for the first time, taking place so close to home and with the involvement of three home nations plus the Republic of Ireland. This is unprecedented and we look forward to bringing home to viewers the action and excitement on the ground in France.”

Euro 2016 Group Matches
Friday 10 June
8pm (ITV) France v Romania

Saturday 11 June 2pm (BBC) Albania v Switzerland; 5pm (BBC ) Wales v Slovakia; 8pm (ITV) England v Russia

Sunday 12 June 2pm (ITV) Turkey v Croatia; 5pm (BBC) Poland v Northern Ireland; 8pm (BBC) Germany v Ukraine

Monday 13 June 2pm (ITV) Spain v Czech Republic; 5pm (BBC) Republic of Ireland v Sweden; 8pm (BBC) Belgium v Italy

Tuesday 14 June 5pm (ITV) Austria v Hungary; 8pm (BBC) Portugal v Iceland

Wednesday 15 June 2pm (BBC) Russia v Slovakia; 5pm (ITV) Romania v Switzerland; 8pm (ITV) France v Albania

Thursday 16 June 2pm (BBC) England v Wales; 5pm (ITV) Ukraine v Northern Ireland; 8pm (ITV) Germany v Poland

Friday 17 June 2pm (ITV) Italy v Sweden; 5pm (BBC) Czech Republic v Croatia; 8pm (ITV) Spain v Turkey

Saturday 18 June 2pm (ITV) Belgium v Republic of Ireland; 5pm (BBC) Iceland v Hungary; 8pm (BBC) Portugal v Austria

Sunday 19 June 8pm (BBC) Romania v Albania; 8pm (BBC) Switzerland v France

Monday 20 June 8pm (ITV) Russia v Wales; 8pm (ITV) Slovakia v England

Tuesday 21 June 5pm (BBC) Northern Ireland v Germany; 5pm (BBC) Ukraine v Poland; 8pm (ITV) Croatia v Spain; 8pm (ITV) Czech Republic v Turkey

Wednesday 22 June 5pm (BBC) Hungary v Portugal; 5pm (BBC) Iceland v Austria; 8pm (ITV) Italy v Republic of Ireland; 8pm (ITV) Sweden v Belgium