Euro 2016

Lineker

I hate that argument, always have. Yes, it's his job but it's one with intense physical demands and in the case of Kane, you have to remember he went from 0 to 60 very quickly in terms of becoming a regular starter at Premier League and international level whilst still a teenager. Of course it's going to take its' toll.

• Like 4

Oh fuck that, for the money they earn, it's barely a job. Most of us do it hungover on a Sunday morning on a shoddy field, and we pay for the privilege of it.

6 minutes ago, EddieG said:

Oh fuck that, for the money they earn, it's barely a job. Most of us do it hungover on a Sunday morning on a shoddy field, and we pay for the privilege of it.

Yes, once a week that barely resembles football >_>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I hate that argument, always have. Yes, it's his job but it's one with intense physical demands and in the case of Kane, you have to remember he went from 0 to 60 very quickly in terms of becoming a regular starter at Premier League and international level whilst still a teenager. Of course it's going to take its' toll.

These guys play football for a living (and earn the GDP of a small country for doing so). On days where they don't have games, they train until lunch time and piss off home to their mansions. They have access to the highest levels of diet, exercise, equipment and people to help them recover from their 2 games a week.

Players have ample opportunity to "rest" if they supposedly need it. 

3 minutes ago, Colly said:

This is rapidly approaching the 'I'm better than him' standard discussion that I get from the idiot who sits behind me at St James'.

That might be Micky Quinn, you know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EddieG said:

There's no need for that mate, and if you think knocking it about on the park with Big Baz the night after 12 pints is at all the same as 90 minutes in the Premier League then, well, I don't know what else to say.

Young players can get burn out, it's clear. Lineker isn't wrong to suggest it might be affecting Kane.

The amount of money they make has utterly no bearing on whether or not this can happen. This is halfway towards being one of those stupid "give the brave soldiers footballer's wages" facebook arguments.

• Like 4

Tbh, Kane was shite but so was pretty much every other England player. Especially in that shit show of a system which didn't get the best out of anyone. 

Too much football can burn players out. Look at Rooney, he's pretty much been playing top level football since the age of 16/17 and he's only 30 yet I personally think that the mileage he has as a footballer had had an impact on him. 

It's a physically demanding League the Prem and it will take it out of them...but then again a hungover Big Baz is a big bastard when he's two footing you knee height and the fatty of a ref didn't see it as he's still trying to catch up to the play :shifty:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gazz said:

Suddenly everyone is a sports scientist. Want to debate optimal training loads and recovery?

I think even my uneducated mind can fathom that inserting cash into a players bank account doesn't increase recovery rates.

• Like 3

Jan Vertonghen is out of the tournament with an ankle ligament injury. Four months recovery time.