Euro 2016

Lineker

1 hour ago, stokeriño said:

The fact that Ian Wright is saying that it's all down to application and motivation is just another symptom of the classic English delusion: to say it's not about how good your tactics or organisation or skills are - it's about whether you have the passion to try hard enough (preferably with a lot of shouting, for good effect). Such insight.

This "PASSION, LADS!" attitude is so pervasive in England that is literally contagious; I think it was really noticeable when Fabio Capello, one of the most rational, tactically aware managers in the history of the sport started making speeches about England needing more heart. The simple truth is that until England get rid of this loser mentality, they will never win anything.

I've won 9 of my last 12 competitive tournament games. Got to two finals. Just saying...

9 hours ago, Pogue Mahone said:

Whats the excuse this time around then? Lack of grassroots? Lack of tiki-taka style?  Too many foreign players in the premier league? Not enough players were in the Under 21 squad?

"The PL Season is too long" was being mentioned at the end of the game on the BBC.

• Like 1

In my head I imagined all the 'too many pampered stars on £150k a week that only care about club football and not ENGLAND'. Then someone on 606 pretty much said exactly that and that we should pick players from the Championship or League 1 instead.

They would probably have matched up well with Iceland, mind you, given that Danny Mills spent 90 minutes saying Iceland would struggle in the Championship.

22 minutes ago, brenchill said:

"The PL Season is too long" was being mentioned at the end of the game on the BBC.

Bleh. I know I've used that as a reason to get rid of the League Cup, but it doesn't seem that long compared to say La Liga, especially for a top team. Barcelona played 62 games last season, the only Premiership that would get close to that is Liverpool on 63. Champions Leicester played 43 and Newcastle played 41. That's about the same as Rayo who go relegated from La Liga and played 42 games.

Hell, Real Madrid got thrown out of the Copa Del Rey and still played 51 games.

It's always been the same with England, in my lifetime anyway. They put themselves in same bracket as the likes of Germany, Italy, France etc but frankly, don't win anything. 

It seems every tournament they play in, they take the "best squad of players ever!!!" and it doesn't work out.

The disrespect shown to Iceland last night was shocking across all platforms. For a team representing the "best league in the world, where anything can happen" you'd think they'd be a little more wary of a surprise result. 

They have a squad of players that can go far, and do good things at the 2018 World Cup, but a place in the latter stages won't just be handed to them.

Argument 1: "The PL season is too long"

Argument 2: "The PL is too dominated by foreign players"

So why aren't the foreign players suffering from the long PL season? "SORRY CAN'T HEAR YOU, PASSION LADS, PASSION, LALALA".

• Like 7