Summer Transfer Window Thread 2016

Lineker

3 minutes ago, brenchill said:

Who was in goal for them last season?  Is Valdes an improvement?  He hasn't done a lot in recent years.

Dimi Konstantopoulos. And no, he's not. Weird signing, even if Boro fans are excited about it.

I can see Dimi keeping the #1 spot, he's a big favourite at Boro. I'd say Valdes is a good signing to have as the experience, but then again Dimi is no spring chicken himself. That said, he hasn't exactly had the career that Valdes has, few have.

You can't underestimate the importance of having an experienced keeper in the ranks. People always balk at seeing people like Richard Wright and Tony Warner on the playing squad of big teams right up to age 40 or whatever, but there's a reason it happens and the tight-knit nature of a goalkeeping core within a squad can be massively helped by having an older head who might not necessarily play that much, but is there every day in training helping the younger ones to become better and better. It's not a coincidence in my opinion that, say, Jack Butland has improved over time training alongside the likes of Thomas Sorensen and Shay Given every day.

• Like 1

I just looked up the most expensive football players list on Wiki. So far in 2016 you have Hulk to Shanghai SPG (€55.8million), Alex Teixeria to Jiangsu (€50million),Granit Xhaka to Arsenal (€42.3 million), Jackson Martinez to Guangzhou (€42 million) and Mané to Liverpool (€41 million).

I love that 3 of the most expensive transfers ever are now from European clubs to China.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

A nation's billionaires buying millionaires using money saved by severely underpaying folks in hideous working conditions.

Yup, this is the world we live in.

And what about China?

• Like 2